Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

So Cal Adventure Trailer Building

Old 01-22-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow how about this one?

http://www.terracross.com/en/index-Modelle.html
Old 01-22-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woods
That's a very nice design. I'm not sure about the tires tracking wider than the tow vehicle though. Any thoughts on this. I was thinking a couple inches inside the track of the tow vehicle.
You would have to go pretty wide to exceed that of the JK. 62" is the track, and 80+ on the overall with. My biggest concern is not going wide enough. You don't want a tippy trailer.

I'm thinking about keeping the dimensions close to the "chaser" model at adventuretrailers.com. Roughly 5-6''L x 3 1/2'W for the main cargo box. 10' long total.

I've been through about 5 different designs so far. You know the hardest part is trying to design a lid to go on top. Something that looks nice, isn't too heavy to open, and will protect the cargo from the elements.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

Great idea Woods. Cant wait to see the pictures
Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A little tear here and there

http://www.teardrops.net/mfgs.html

Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spencenaz
You know the hardest part is trying to design a lid to go on top. Something that looks nice, isn't too heavy to open, and will protect the cargo from the elements.
My sentiments exactly. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do a good lid. Locks, weather, fiberglass, aluminum, steel... I finally gave up and decided to go with the aluminum boxes. Will be nice to have them removable also. The boxes are only 15 to 20 lbs. each.

Thanks for posting those dimensions up. I haven't pulled the tape out yet, but I've known that my options are 40" wide, 44" wide or 48" wide. The aluminum boxes come in 20" and 24" depths, and have a length of 5'.

Last edited by Woods; 01-23-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by byucoug
Great idea Woods. Cant wait to see the pictures
Aaron, maybe you should get us an email address, and we can start a letter campain
Old 03-17-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Aaron, maybe you should get us an email address, and we can start a letter campain
Brett,

What happened to this project??? On hold or still looking for someone to assist?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Definently want an update now. I had completly forgot about this, but now you've sparked my interest again since it has resurfaced.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

It's definitely taken on a life of it's own. I really took a hard look at buying a cheapy harbor freight trailer (pic below) and mounting a couple of aluminum tool boxes on it. Would be CHEAP. I figure the trailer would need some reinforcing though.

I’ve also looked at the idea of doing a custom box and mounting a Westfalia camper top on it. The tops are too long, but I've got some good ideas from it.

I just haven't had time to spark up the welder…

Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

It's definitely taken on a life of it's own. I really took a hard look at buying a cheapy harbor freight trailer (pic below) and mounting a couple of aluminum tool boxes on it. Would be CHEAP. I figure the trailer would need some reinforcing though.

I’ve also looked at the idea of doing a custom box and mounting a Westfalia camper top on it. The tops are too long, but I've got some good ideas from it.

I just haven't had time to spark up the welder…

Brett,

I think if you added some reinforcing to the suspension (maybe a leaf pack?) and new fenders to run 32s or 33s, you'd be golden. As a fellow tent camper, I think adding removable storage boxes and water tank, a battery, and propane storage would make this little guy complete.

For me, I want the above...

Do you have to weld it? Or could you bolt on the boxes?

Last edited by Dayton; 03-31-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: So Cal Adventure Trailer Building