Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Welding shop around San Diego for C gussets

Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smittycm
So about how many hours of labor would it be to weld on upper/lower c-gussets? I've been wondering that myself. I've seen guys on craigslist list their welding services for as low as $50/hour, but I'd gladly pay another forum member $100/hour to weld for me. I'd trust another forum member before I trusted someone unknown guy on Craigslist. I may not know the forum member either, but at least I could bash him on the forum if he melts my ball joints! haha Welding is definitely one of those things I'd rather pay the extra money for and get quality work.
I was quoted 2 hours @ $90 an hour. Will be going in next Wednesday. I will post up pic's when it's done. I have 8k on my jeep and do not want to replace ball joints right now either.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What company did you get those from? Slight bit of difference on how they are bent....
Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

id be doing those ball joints at the same time even if I had 0 miles on my jeep. the stock ones are plastic, you never know when they will go, and with anything larger than stock tire they will blow out faster I havent done c gussets yet because I dont have the ball joints yet, I wont do one with out the other and pay twice, just my 2 cents
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by TheDuff
id be doing those ball joints at the same time even if I had 0 miles on my jeep. the stock ones are plastic, you never know when they will go, and with anything larger than stock tire they will blow out faster I havent done c gussets yet because I dont have the ball joints yet, I wont do one with out the other and pay twice, just my 2 cents
Ball joints can be replaced fairly cheaply with hand tools compared to a bend front axle housing. Get C's on first. Yea the stock BJs are weak, but I wheeled mine really hard until I could see gaps. In a perfect budget-less world, sure do both at the same time.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigLow
Ball joints can be replaced fairly cheaply with hand tools compared to a bend front axle housing. Get C's on first. Yea the stock BJs are weak, but I wheeled mine really hard until I could see gaps. In a perfect budget-less world, sure do both at the same time.
I am having the work done at Off road warehouse in El Cajon. I don't have the funds right now for ball joints if not I would. I got a quote on them and , they are expensive. I don't really wheel hard, just want the piece of mind. Plus if bend anything down there, I'm pretty sure its going to cost more then the C-gusset job. Down the road I hope to be able to get the ball joints and sleeve, but that's not until save up enough mula and this mod gets its number called on the mod list.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 PM
JK Super Freak

If you running anything over 33” tires you should have the gussets. The thing I feared was melting the stock ball joint during the welding of the “C” gussets. So I would remind them that you have stock ball joints when you take it in.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Former Member

Just take it slow and easy....
Old 04-14-2013, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine went out at just over 19k...the oem ball joints suck as do the crown...live and learn.

Quick Reply: Welding shop around San Diego for C gussets