Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.
View Poll Results: Where do you want "JK-INVASION" to be?
Tellico
47.83%
Windrock
13.04%
Durhamtown
39.13%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

"JK-INVASION" Location Poll

Old 02-07-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it is between Tellico and Dtown!
Old 02-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

Voted...
Durhamtown

Old 02-07-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Windrock... I've driven to Tazewell, TN for work. 10 hours from me. I could do Windrock in a day!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

I just can't see taking a group this size to Tellico and getting lost in the crowd of other groups.
just my perception having been there before and feeling clostrophobic from all the people.
At least at Durhamtown we will have the place to ourselves and won't have to wait forever to do anything.
you also don't have to ride back to town to get something to eat or get to sleep.
At D-town they have cabins, food ( the Saturday night beffet is GOOD!)and a repair shop if you break something.

Mike also said that if anyone wanted to stay in a hotel and NOT stay in one of their cabins, that they are "more than welcome" to store their trailers(if they tow their Jeep) on site so you don't have to worry about your stuff.
To me, that says alot about the guy since he wouldn't be making any money from them.

Just want to give information for those who haven't been to both.

Last edited by The Joker; 02-08-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Junkie

Default Tellico vs. Durhamtown

Originally Posted by The Joker
I just can't see taking a group this size to Tellico and getting lost in the crowd of other groups.
just my perception having been there before and feeling clostrophobic from all the people.
Had to just vote for Tellico anyway. Been up there once, and although there were several other groups on the trail that we had to "dodge", it wasn't too bad and everyone was very friendly. The scenery and trails are just outstanding - it's like hiking many of the trails in the Smokies, except you're driving.

Maybe it was just the particular day that the Durhamtown ride occurred on, but the place looks like just pure mud to me - nasty, clingy, thick, "dries brick hard", red clay mud. I looked at this as a choice between the majestic scenic beauty of the Smokies verses the sloppy mud trails of Durhamtown. Maybe that's an inaccurate "picture" of Durhamtown, but most of the pictures I've seen looked liked we'd be having a JK-Mudfest. Again, I haven't been there, so folks who have can speak up if my perception is totally skewed (I know we tend to post pics on the trail that we think are the coolest, and often, the most challenging, so maybe that's why it just looks so muddy).

Just my .
Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tellico

I voted tellico, because this might be the last time I (we) get to ride it due to possible closing of the trails. I heard from a guy in my 4x4 club, that he talked to a ranger from Tellico that stated if we wanted to ride tellico we better do it fast. The ranger couldn't go into detail he said "Just take my word for it, do this year early". It's sad that trout fishermen and treehuggers can lobby that well in Congress to close trails and stall economies (ie; Murphy, NC). I don't think they will keep Murphy alive like the 4x4 riders will. So my vote goes to Tellico!
Old 02-08-2009, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK7349
I voted tellico, because this might be the last time I (we) get to ride it due to possible closing of the trails. I heard from a guy in my 4x4 club, that he talked to a ranger from Tellico that stated if we wanted to ride tellico we better do it fast. The ranger couldn't go into detail he said "Just take my word for it, do this year early". It's sad that trout fishermen and treehuggers can lobby that well in Congress to close trails and stall economies (ie; Murphy, NC). I don't think they will keep Murphy alive like the 4x4 riders will. So my vote goes to Tellico!
Thanks for the heads-up. Sounds like I need to get myself in gear, and head back up soon - like right after it re-opens.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it sucks, but kind of could tell it was coming due to all the write ups.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Had lunch with Mike (owner) at D-Town on Sunday. He is planning to open another huge section of trails set up for stock Jeeps and/or inexperienced trail drivers. Separating into two groups would really help keep the vehicles moving.

Also, he said he could label and design a couple of long tracks that would allow us to see the entire property and not have to worry about getting lost or running into another group head on. Each track would intersect with main trail too so if anyone wanted to go back to camp, they could just follow the exit/lodge signs.

He mentioned two other huge events that D-Town hosted last year so it sounds like he knows how to manage large groups. One group of Military vehicles had 1,300 people. They set up their headquarters in the RV park along with vendor tents, food tents and everyone camped out right there together. Had a huge bon fire too.

I rode on the ATV trails all day Sunday and only saw two or three places that still have mud. If it stays dry this week, I'll be on the Jeep trails next Sunday and report back with the conditions.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know I am new here but what about river rock, nice camping, showers w/ hot water. Lots of trails but no cabins or hotels near by. Maybe in the spring would be better.

Quick Reply: "JK-INVASION" Location Poll