Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Justifications for Building up a Jeep in Gerogia

Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Justifications for Building up a Jeep in Gerogia

I want to know what the best justifications you've had for building up your jeep. I know a lot of people around my area aren't actually doing much offroading (too many perfect jeeps with no sign of even clearcoat scratches), but for those who actually USE their jeep , what were you doing that made you say, "yes, I need 35" or 37" tires ( <-- insert other mods here) in order to get where I'm going/do what I want to do."

I'm getting a JKUR in June because I want to be able to go places without worrying about making it there. (I already weighed the Sport vs the Rubi, and I wouldn't be buying the Rubi just to turn around and strip off all the parts that make it different.) My plan is for a Warn Winch, stubby the bumpers (basically free), skid plates for the few places that aren't already covered, level the jeep for now (the factory rake looks stupid), Trek Armor the seats (I'd rather wear out a seat cover than the stock seats), and then cut the fender flares (personal pref and basically free). With that, I've protected the jeep and given it self recovery ability .

That where my question comes in. I get it that it's smartest to upgrade when you REALLY get into everything and find out first hand what you need. Where were you when the tipping point hit for bigger tires, a taller lift, a front stinger, beefier rock rails, steel bumpers, upgraded axles, regearing, etc.? I want to know from a stand point of how long you'd been wheeling, and where you were wheeling when that tipping point came that you could justify it.

Just trying to get some perspective and maybe some clues as to where to go when I get my rig. And I know that a lot of this is personal preference because some people like the challenge of pushing the limits and some would rather dominate the trails.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion most people have many different ideas for their Jeep when they get it. From what I've seen most people just go stock for a while, taking the time to really see and justify what they might want or need to purchase. It all really comes down to what You will do with yours. For example, mine is my daily driver. So I've kept things simple to start. 2" budget boost. 33" tires. 17" Hoss wheels. Fairly inexpensive tube bumpers and some lights. That's enough for me for now. I plan on getting the most out of my Jeep camping/fishing/hunting. So future mods include: Roof rack, winch, dual battery, hi-lift jack, etc. It's all about what you want to do.

Quick Reply: Justifications for Building up a Jeep in Gerogia