Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

NW AL / SW TN trail head

Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post NW AL / SW TN trail head

I have heard rumors of a trail head that is between Waterloo, AL and Walkertown, TN that criss-crosses the state line some where around Dry Creek Rd.

Is anyone familiar with this area that can post directions?

link to google maps in the area

thanks in advance
Old 10-15-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Hey man,

I've heard of this place before...a friend of mine goes up there a lot. I'm not sure about directions, but I will see what I can find out.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard of some of the guy's in the club talking about going to "Dry Creek" but I have no idea where it is or if it's even the same place.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

From what i can tell, the trial head probably starts on Holland Creek Road from the TN side and Bumpass Crk Rd from AL.

I am going to try to go out there this Sunday and find it.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update

No trouble finding the area. If you check the google link above, State Line Rd leads directly into Dry Creek Rd through TVA land. Both are well groomed gravel roads with some minor creek fords that winds through the forest and along the lake side. Traveling south on Dry Creek Rd leads to a lake side camp ground with a panoramic view of the area.

Traveling north on Dry Creek Rd turns into dirt trails running through some 3/4 wheel coverage creek fords and eventually off TVA land ultimately dead ending at a waterfall.

Just before the waterfall is a good mix of trails with hill climbs traveling across a few ravines with 2-3' deep ruts and a few mud pits. Most hill climbs had 2-3 path options.

This was my first trip wheelin' and I was in my stock Rubicon Unlimited. I chose the easiest of the climbs. The only problem I had was dragging on a set of stair steps and i hit the lockers over couple of rutted out climbs (it seems that the popular opinion is that this is cheating).

If anyone has info on wheeling areas close to NE Alabama, please post up.

Last edited by Borden; 10-20-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Borden
No trouble finding the area. If you check the google link above, State Line Rd leads directly into Dry Creek Rd through TVA land. Both are well groomed gravel roads with some minor creek fords that winds through the forest and along the lake side. Traveling south on Dry Creek Rd leads to a lake side camp ground with a panoramic view of the area.
Thanks for the tip on the trail/area, plus the nice follow-up report. We're thinking of Skyline in the near future . . . just watch the Huntsville thread located in "The South" section of the forum. We'd love to have you join us.

Originally Posted by Borden
Traveling south on Dry Creek Rd leads to a lake side camp ground . . .
Primitive camping? How many spots, and do you have to register w/ TVA or is it first come, first served? Thanks.

Edit: Ack!! Just figured out where you're wheeling . . . extreme NW corner of AL, about 2.5 hours away from us. I initially thought the State Line Rd you were referring to was the one near Ardmore, AL/TN. Oh well, you're still welcome to join us - just didn't figure it was that far of a drive.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 10-19-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

yeah, I have seen the huntsville thread, but like you said that is a hike for me.

There are tons of camping areas. I doubt it ever fills up. The only posted sign said camping was limited to two weeks.

Quick Reply: NW AL / SW TN trail head