Notices
South Africa If you live in South Africa and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

moving back home

Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving back home

i have recently been faced with the option of moving back home to south africa and am curious how you guys have find owning jeeps there. i will be looking to replace my little dr i have in cali with a new vehicle. initially i would have only considered toyota and land rover because of their wide use and ease to find parts. After some thought i have realized that i am rather attached to jeeps. How available are parts - in sa and up further into africa? Are you guys paying much more for aftermarket parts than we are? are 37's widely available?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just about everything has to be ordered at a Premium.
I'm pulling the trigger on an AEV kit next week.
Kit is $1750. With shipping and tax it costs R29 000 to get here.
That's about $4100

Whatever you want down here you have to ship in. And it will cost you.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by EstianSwanepoel
Just about everything has to be ordered at a Premium.
I'm pulling the trigger on an AEV kit next week.
Kit is $1750. With shipping and tax it costs R29 000 to get here.
That's about $4100

Whatever you want down here you have to ship in. And it will cost you.
jeez that is unbelievable. That is the kit i was hoping to use on my next jeep as well. with prices like that i am priced out of the jeep game.
is there a big difference between the defender and land cruiser 70 series parts? these would be my second and third options.
Have you gone out with either of these vehicles? and if so how did they perform?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Super Freak

i like the defender but am a little worried about reliability, and on road safety with all those bloody taxis!!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtjk
i like the defender but am a little worried about reliability, and on road safety with all those bloody taxis!!
Dude..

One thing to remember... toyota is EXTREMELY high on the steal and Hijack list... I doubt they steel many jeep's.... Jeep part's are expensive, but I mean $1500 in the US is a lot of cash...

I understand where estian is coming from, but we cannot compare 1500$ - R29000 straight up... you have to work in the actual value of the currency of that country!.

In Angola we pay R150 for a small bag of tomatoes.. where as it is only 1500KZ, in perspective that is 2 beers...

Other than that.. I am quite sure I did enough convincing to keep you from buying a TOY YODA in the 4x4comm forum!!..

When are you planing on moving back to SA, and where in SA?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

i have recently been faced with the option of moving back home to south africa and am curious how you guys have find owning jeeps there. i will be looking to replace my little dr i have in cali with a new vehicle. initially i would have only considered toyota and land rover because of their wide use and ease to find parts. After some thought i have realized that i am rather attached to jeeps. How available are parts - in sa and up further into africa? Are you guys paying much more for aftermarket parts than we are? are 37's widely available?

Thanks!
I don't know if this will help or not but when I send stuff to some friends in thailand, there is a shipping company that only sends to thailand, it only cost me 50 bucks to ship it all the way and I can expect it there in a month, there is no weight restrictions or anything just has to be able to pass through customs, I would suggest that you find a company that does similar and just stock boxes full of parts you would like on your jeep. The boxes are pretty huge at least a yard x yard x yard in volume.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks!
Boet, stay away from the Toyota's, especially diesels!! I know four guys that had their Hilux's "redistributed" and one of my mate's had three attempts on his Fortuner and the third time they took it!!! The tracking company cant even find it! The problem is the 3.0 D4D motor fits in the new quantum taxi's and they actually just want them for the motor!!!

Quick Reply: moving back home