Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Now Available - Clayton Off Road Mfg. JK 3.5 and 4.5 Kits

Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings Adam,

I've been lurking in this section for a while watching to see which lift kit mfg. would appear here and its nice to see that you and your company take the time to show off your products and also take the time to explain all of the benefits and features of your products as well. While I'm carefully considering everyones short arm 4.5 kit I have to say I don't see Trailmaster, Superlift, Rancho, Fabtech, ProComp or most of the other big names here doing the same as you so that is a positive thing for sure.

In addition, I've noticed that your rear trackarm bracket appears to be the strongest, most massive and overbuilt bracket that anyone is offering. Also, those square arms look like they would withstand an IED. I figure if you need a 100 ton press to manufacture them they probably aren't going to bend anytime soon.

In closing, I've got a few questions maybe you can answer. First off, I've heard you have a unlimited lifetime warranty on all your products, is this true? Secondly, why do some kits have rear springs that look similar to the stock springs in that they are quite a bit wider and shaped differently but yours and some others appear quite similar in shape to the fronts? What type of joints are used in the arms and are they greaseable and should I expect noise as others are complaining about with other brands? In closing, are your arms longer than stock to compensate for the decrease in wheelbase that results when the longer spring position the arms downward in the radius arc?

Thanks again for your time.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hy Zylfrax,

Haven't seen Adam on here in a while, but I just installed (an am currently tweaking the final adjustments on it) their 4.5" kit on my JK and can answer some of your questions.

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
In addition, I've noticed that your rear trackarm bracket appears to be the strongest, most massive and overbuilt bracket that anyone is offering. Also, those square arms look like they would withstand an IED. I figure if you need a 100 ton press to manufacture them they probably aren't going to bend anytime soon.
Let me just say that it took two hands to hoist the track bar bracket onto the axle/mount. Same thing with the arms...each arm. I couldn't believe how light the stock ones were when I took them off and compared them to the Clayton's.

In closing, I've got a few questions maybe you can answer. First off, I've heard you have a unlimited lifetime warranty on all your products, is this true?
I'm pretty sure the his no questions asked warranty is just on his arm against bending or breaking. Some of the parts in the kit are complete from other manufacturer's, i.e. the brake lines by Crown and the front sway bar disconnects by JKS.

Secondly, why do some kits have rear springs that look similar to the stock springs in that they are quite a bit wider and shaped differently but yours and some others appear quite similar in shape to the fronts?
Not sure?

What type of joints are used in the arms and are they greaseable and should I expect noise as others are complaining about with other brands?
The types of joints used in his arms are both Clevite and Currie Johnny Joints. Clevite joints are high quality, mechanically bonded, rubber joints that are used in some of the stock joints (just found this interesting bit out last week as I was installing the arms!) There are many people out there who use rubber joints, but Clevites have a superior advantage over them due to preload on them when they are being made, enhancing their durability, quietness, and maybe some others (it's been a while since I've talked with Adam about the specifics of every piece of his kit). Johnny Joints are super high-quality also, just check out their specs on Currie's website. There's even a video dedicated to their how superior they are over regular heims and the like.

The Clevites are not greasable (although I guess, if you really wanted to, you could take a grease needle to it). The Johnny Joints have a zerk on them.

You shouldn't expect any noise from them...there hasn't been ONE negative post about his kit on this forum, and in talking with him the only "problem" SOME people are having is a slight squeak from the non-greasable ball joint rear sway bar link ends, which he just recommends you to just put some grease in them.

In closing, are your arms longer than stock to compensate for the decrease in wheelbase that results when the longer spring position the arms downward in the radius arc?
His arms are adjustable due to the use of the Johnny Joints, so yes.

Last edited by User 12721; 07-08-2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added to his question about noise problems

Quick Reply: Now Available - Clayton Off Road Mfg. JK 3.5 and 4.5 Kits