Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

SEMA, brand new LED Headlamp model from Truck-Lite

Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
Just wanted to touch base with everyone about out new headlamp launch. We're on schedule for Q1, and should be shipping lamps within a month or so. We've actually made some improvements, both in cosmetic appearance and light output, and I'll have some literature to post this month.

I appreciate everyone's interest, and will get a formal update out as soon as something is finalized. With the interest level here, I don't want to post a date until I'm sure it'll be accurate.

Thanks for all the support.

Jerry Lee
Truck-Lite Co.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

I have the old style LED headlights. I have been following this thread for a while and waited to chime in until I did a did a little more testing on the Jeep. I'll start by saying that I love LEDs and I love the fact that Truck Lite brought such a product to market before anyone else. Got to give them props for that.

I was running the LED's on a Hummer H1 then after I sold that I put them on my shiny new '12 JKU. On high beam the lights are great; they really light everything up. On low the beam pattern leaves something to be desired. I do not have the current generation headlights that supposedly improved low beams, so I cannot comment on whether or not they fixed that problem. I would say that the "bundle of flashlights" description is right on the mark. The color temperature is great, and they light up street signs as far as you can see. I really like the "feel" of the light they put out, I just wish they had a less spotty beam pattern. I currently have them off the Jeep and replaced them with a set of Hella eCodes and Silverstar zXe bulbs. The Hellas have a much better beam pattern and the Silverstars have a similar color temp, but they definitely don't light up reflective surfaces (i.e. street signs) like the LED's did. The LEDs were also much more visible in the daylight when looking at the Jeep head on. Plus the headlights just looked damn cool.

I am keenly interested in the new LED lights, but I have to say that without a doubt I would not buy them if Truck Lite does not have a factory solution for the flickering problem. Having run the lights on a Hummer (that didn't have any sort of CANBUS electrical system) as well as the JK, I can say the lights are rock solid and steady normally, but flicker terribly on the JK. They don't turn completely on and off, it's just a subtle flicker that is super annoying. I tried a set of CANBUS capacitors for HID's that did help, but it wasn't quite perfect. It slowed down the frequency of the flicker, but didn't eliminate it completely. I know that I could run completely separate harness for the headlights (i.e. Rally Lights), but I am not interested in having to resort to that on a brand new Jeep just to make the headlights work like they are supposed to.

Following Truck Lite's advice from this thread I took the Jeep back to the dealer and showed them the problem. I asked the service manager if I could talk to the best tech they had in dealing with the electrical system. The guy he brought over said he knew exactly what I was taking about. He said he'd had several people come in with HID kits that had the same problem. He had talked to Chrysler and they told him without a doubt there was no way a dealer could disable the PVM. He had also poked around the Jeep's computer on his own and could find no reference to anything resembling that that he could turn off. He examined my setup and told me that the plug in CANBUS flicker-fix capacitors that I was running would void my electrical system warranty if I were to bring it in for electrical problems. Having just bought the Jeep I am in no way interested in voiding my warranty, so I would definitely not run those again.

The bottom line is that I loved the way the LED's looked and the type of light they put out, but the beam pattern was not great and the flickering is a total deal breaker. I would love to run the new LED's if they solved the beam pattern issue, but Truck Lite would absolutely have to fix the flicker problem with something that would not affect the vehicles warranty. I wouldn't even consider buying them otherwise.

Last edited by carbonfiberunderpants; 01-22-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Oh, and on a side note...For those of you concerned about running the lights in the snow, I wouldn't worry about it. I ran them for a couple winters and while it is true that they don't melt the snow, I think that is the very reason that they didn't have a problem. The snow only builds up a thin layer on the lights that didn't affect light output (at least that I could notice). It seemed like because the snow stayed cold and never got warm and wet it prevented more snow from sticking. It never got more than a fraction of an inch thick on the lens, which again did not noticeably affect light output. There also was never a sheet of ice over the lights from the melted snow freezing after the lights were turned off. I actually think they worked better in the snow that regular headlights.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Truck Lite LEDs and I am very happy with them. There is a flicker, I only notice it when I first turn the car on and in park. Once in drive I don't notice a thing. I really enjoy these lights and think they are way better then the stock lights. I think the light pattern in low beam could be a little better. I know Trucklite has been improving this. I have HIDs in my fogs which help. As with everything else, time can only help trucklite. They have been improving this product since its inception.

If there is a fix for the flickering I am sure it's being worked on. I only hope truck lite gives the owners of these LED headlights the fix at no cost. It only seems fair.

Overall I am very happy with this product.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Truck-Lite Co.
Hello all,
Just wanted to touch base with everyone about out new headlamp launch. We're on schedule for Q1, and should be shipping lamps within a month or so. We've actually made some improvements, both in cosmetic appearance and light output, and I'll have some literature to post this month.

I appreciate everyone's interest, and will get a formal update out as soon as something is finalized. With the interest level here, I don't want to post a date until I'm sure it'll be accurate.

Thanks for all the support.

Jerry Lee
Truck-Lite Co.

Yeah people around get anxious when it comes to new products especially something that fixes a big problem, so please keep the forum updated.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

Hi there:

I contacted TruckLite in France to see of I can get the LED headlamps here in Europe. And guess what they told me? They will not deliver and they are illegal in Europe anyways :-(.

I checked hella, who make the H4 original OEM headlights. Their only solution seem to be additional LED high-beams, that they marked in their 4x4 brochure on a Jeep Wrangler JK on the demo picture.

Anyone has a legal solution for us poor EU JK owners?!

I hate searching my way with a stick at night!

Raven
(OIIIIIIIO)
Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Check this thread rebel off road just released a plug and play hid kit for the jk. They're great guys to deal with too.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...sting-in-SoCal
Old 01-26-2012, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roxj
Check this thread rebel off road just released a plug and play hid kit for the jk. They're great guys to deal with too.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...sting-in-SoCal
HIDs are illegal and this is for the new LED DOT approved Trucklites
Old 01-26-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
HIDs are illegal and this is for the new LED DOT approved Trucklites
no shit.............. he said he checked his local laws in FRANCE, and led's are illegal there. so, i offered him another solution that may work in his country of origin.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

We're into February now...any updates?

Quick Reply: SEMA, brand new LED Headlamp model from Truck-Lite