Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Sneak Peak -- New Bumper

Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more ideas - I edited the pic a little

Ok,

I placed a few ideas into the last picture. One thing I was thinking is those tabs just don't look that strong. I like the steel peice welded right on look.

I added where I thought the Winch bar should go and the other items from my previous post.

Attachment 5184

Last edited by NE Wrangling; 05-04-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:31 AM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yhudson
I like your contest idea, and I will do this in the future. For this post what I can do is offer $50 & $100 rebates on our products (trail master, Performance Accessories, and OR-Fab) or soft gear such as shirts or hats for those respondents whose ideas we are able to implement.

Thanks for your help!

Y
Did you just implement one of my ideas??
Old 01-07-2008, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yates, correct me if I'm wrong but I think our intentions are to include the D-Rings with the bumper. The charge for them is so minimal that it's probably considered no extra charge.

(And yeah Yates, I've actually been spying on this forum before we were a "vendor". LOL )

I'm the "designer" on the original non-winch version of this bumper. Also a version where the fairlead hole is centered for the smaller winches and now this one that is offset for this big winch. When I did the first one well over a year ago I honestly didn't look at any of the competitors. I just knew I wanted to cover up that crashbar that hangs down and do something kind of stubby because that's how I built the bumper for my old CJ7 more then 15 years ago. Also, on another note I just hate looking at other products for ideas cuase I personally loose my ability to be original once I see how others do it... That's something that works good but also bites me back on occasion because I miss an obvious solution or idea sometimes also cause of it...

As for the fairlead being offset. I'm 99% sure we're going to have this bumper and a centered version for those that have no plans of running the larger winches. Like i said though 99%!!! This will be discussed and decided on in the next day or two.

As for the light access... the sketch above has already been thought of. My only concern and reason for not implementing it is you have to mount the lights pretty far behind the front face of the bumper. I'm not a lighting expert but I would think having the face of the light set 3"s back would block a majority of the center shining beam. Does that make sense? I'd have to set the light back that far because of the bend back that our bumper makes.

Our other designer and me have been going back and forth on a hoop. We've got a meeting Wed. and this is one of the topics. (Yes, we have meetings and discussions on minor things like this!!! LOL)

Glideplate for the swaybar mechanisim... Do you guys really hit that thing on rocks? I'm an ex-jeeper now a prerunner kinda guy but back in my CJ days I never stuffed a rock into that area over numerous runs through Rubicon, Dusy Ersim, Swamp Lake, Big Bear/Arrowhead trails, etc... A small glide plate would be simple though.

How much volume you guys looking for in airtanks these days? I know on our old CJ I converted cut the top off a fire extinguisher, rethreaded it and plumbed it into a york compressor that I rigged up. that seemed to generally do the trick. Is something similar in capacity what you're thinking? Again, I know trends have seriously changed. Just curious and looking at where we could stuff something up under there...

Thanks,
Khris

Last edited by sirhk100; 01-07-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: I can't spell very well today!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sirhk100
Our other designer and me have been going back and forth on a hoop. We've got a meeting Wed. and this is one of the topics. (Yes, we have meetings and discussions on minor things like this!!! LOL)
I had a hoop added to mine for the simple purpose of protecting my winch investment. And mine is daily driver, so I like the idea of added protection up front in case some yahoo doesn't securely pack his UHaul.

Glideplate for the swaybar mechanisim... Do you guys really hit that thing on rocks? I'm an ex-jeeper now a prerunner kinda guy but back in my CJ days I never stuffed a rock into that area over numerous runs through Rubicon, Dusy Ersim, Swamp Lake, Big Bear/Arrowhead trails, etc... A small glide plate would be simple though.
All it takes is one rock with the new Electronic Sway Bar disconnect... Make yours an option that is seperate from the main bumper. Mine is a seperate piece that can removed if damaged or if I upgrade my sway bar to a Currie system... I do think if you include this with the bumper, you should look at the angle. Mine is great, but I think I'd like it better at a more extreme angle and with a rolled (upward) edge at the end.

Bottom line for me is there's only so many "original" designs for a hunk of metal sitting on the front of a Jeep. What I look for (and why I bought mine) is quality.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Yates, correct me if I'm wrong but I think our intentions are to include the D-Rings with the bumper. The charge for them is so minimal that it's probably considered no extra charge.

(And yeah Yates, I've actually been spying on this forum before we were a "vendor". LOL )

I'm the "designer" on the original non-winch version of this bumper. Also a version where the fairlead hole is centered for the smaller winches and now this one that is offset for this big winch. When I did the first one well over a year ago I honestly didn't look at any of the competitors. I just knew I wanted to cover up that crashbar that hangs down and do something kind of stubby because that's how I built the bumper for my old CJ7 more then 15 years ago. Also, on another note I just hate looking at other products for ideas cuase I personally loose my ability to be original once I see how others do it... That's something that works good but also bites me back on occasion because I miss an obvious solution or idea sometimes also cause of it...

As for the fairlead being offset. I'm 99% sure we're going to have this bumper and a centered version for those that have no plans of running the larger winches. Like i said though 99%!!! This will be discussed and decided on in the next day or two.

As for the light access... the sketch above has already been thought of. My only concern and reason for not implementing it is you have to mount the lights pretty far behind the front face of the bumper. I'm not a lighting expert but I would think having the face of the light set 3"s back would block a majority of the center shining beam. Does that make sense? I'd have to set the light back that far because of the bend back that our bumper makes.

How much volume you guys looking for in airtanks these days? I know on our old CJ I converted cut the top off a fire extinguisher, rethreaded it and plumbed it into a york compressor that I rigged up. that seemed to generally do the trick. Is something similar in capacity what you're thinking? Again, I know trends have seriously changed. Just curious and looking at where we could stuff something up under there...

Thanks,
Khris
Khris, You are correct that we've made it a policy to provide the D-rings with the bumpers. When I was in Chino Valley today I checked out your Powerplant bumper to see where the electronic swaybar disconnect was in relation to the bumper. You and Wayne have had to make a cut-out in the winch plate to accommodate the disconnect because it's almost stuffed in the back of the bumper as it is. You might post a pic of this for everyone to view.

I know your project team has set a target sell price of $349-$389 to the users for this product, but it'd be pretty nice to see the tube hoop for lights and protection.

Thanks and Good Luck!

Y
Old 01-07-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like where this bumper is going. The optional cutouts for different winches is a great idea. The price point seems reasonable, assuming it includes everything.

I really like NEWRANGLING's mockup with the winch bar/light bar. If that could be implemented with provisions for fog light mounting (including some holes for wire management) that'd be great. Perhaps you guys can bend up a similar bar real quick to see how it'll look?

I understand fog light cutouts may be tough, but if possilble, it just gives us more options to mount lights.

I agree, that the PJ looks very bulky... Shrinking your bumper somehow, or playing with the bottom angle may help that.

One thing left out, is provisions for a license plate holder. Some of us live in states where two plates are mandatory, and around here in MA, they're jerks about it! Maybe you can come up with solution? I don't care if my plate gets destroyed on the trail, as long as it stays put!

What kind of finishes are being discussed? I don't want this thing rusting out on me a few years down the road!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Default I've got a fog light Idea

I'm trying to fab something for the factory fogs that I thought up tonight but it didn't look so good as I was trying to fit them under the gaurd. Not sure if the space allows for it but to accomodate the issue mentioned they could be positioned within the bottom of the bumper which allows for easy reuse of the existing harness.

Also I also like the rounding on the guards.Attachment 5195

Last edited by NE Wrangling; 05-04-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This bumper is starting to evolve nicely! Sort of reminds me of something

Old 01-08-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Jedi Master

I'm running the PJ bumper, the bumper stops at beam infront of the swaybar.
while the bumper has held up, Its taken a bad beating from rock crawling, If I had the electric swaybar at the time, it would be destroyed. I have it on now, and havent been offroad yet. I'm hoping it doesnt get destroyed, a replacement is $1400.

Thanks,
Khris
as mush volume as we can get, something around 2.5 gallons would be decent.

the problem is and more so with the 2 door JK, there is no space under hood for a tank, no room under the jeep, unless you move the muffler. Once again on the two door, there's no room inside of the JK with the back seat in.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I'm running the PJ bumper, the bumper stops at beam infront of the swaybar.
while the bumper has held up, Its taken a bad beating from rock crawling, If I had the electric swaybar at the time, it would be destroyed. I have it on now, and havent been offroad yet. I'm hoping it doesnt get destroyed, a replacement is $1400.

Quick question... This makes it sound like the PJ bumper isn't tieing into the O.E. crashbar that hangs down below the frame rails? Is that true?

Thanks,
Khris

Last edited by sirhk100; 01-08-2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo'd my name!!! It's early!!!

Quick Reply: Sneak Peak -- New Bumper