JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sponsoring-manufacturers-vendors-check-out-cyber-monday-specials-24/)
-   -   Trouble w/ Hypertech post here (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sponsoring-manufacturers-vendors-check-out-cyber-monday-specials-24/trouble-w-hypertech-post-here-28892/)

mytjjeep 03-02-2008 08:08 PM

Darnell,
-Would changing the cooling setting 5-10 degrees lower help with cooling the automatic trans, without hurting anything else.
-Should we all be updating with the current software even though what we have now is working well? Are they just updates to handle different configurations or are there other performance changes to the tunes? Thanks again for all your time with this thread and getting us up and running.
Rick K.

sw0cb 03-03-2008 06:14 AM

Ok, what settings does this programmer change exactly? When you load hypertechs tune on there is it updating shift points, or what? What settings are changeable from the programmer?

jeepik 03-03-2008 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by sw0cb (Post 368389)
Ok, what settings does this programmer change exactly? When you load hypertechs tune on there is it updating shift points, or what? What settings are changeable from the programmer?

modifies the computer by giving more torque and HP, can be adjusted for different tires, and rear gear ratios, also changes the coolant temp if needed

doesnt adjust shift points

JulietKilo 03-03-2008 08:35 AM

Dont forget rev limiter!

Don-T 03-03-2008 11:10 AM

Darnell,

Please check on the programmer I was told to send back two weeks ago. It has an RMA number - 114124. It arrived at you place on 2/20/08. It did not work with my 08 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with a 6 speed. It would no update from your web site either.

Thanks for your help here!

AZJeeper 03-03-2008 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by mytjjeep (Post 368092)
Darnell,
-Would changing the cooling setting 5-10 degrees lower help with cooling the automatic trans, without hurting anything else.
-Should we all be updating with the current software even though what we have now is working well? Are they just updates to handle different configurations or are there other performance changes to the tunes? Thanks again for all your time with this thread and getting us up and running.
Rick K.

X2 - I do a lot of towing. Don't want to put on an additional transmission cooler. I'm hoping a couple of degrees cooler on the fan will help the transmission (and the A/C) without hurting the engine temp too much. What is the stock thermostat set at?

AZJeeper 03-03-2008 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ksjeep226 (Post 350565)
I just got one of these.... the software will not work with Vista....

I ordered mine about 2 microseconds before I saw this post. Are there Vista compatibility issues still? Will this be fixed soon?

benjamin24 03-03-2008 12:12 PM

Just finished installing the max energy programmer on my sahara. Installed the regular fuel settings for now. I took it for a test drive and don't really notice any seat of the pants improvement. I bought it hoping it would help offset the weight of my 33" tires, as the overdrive kicks on constantly if its windy or on slight inclines. Going to work tonight, and will see what a couple hundred miles feels like. When I come home in a couple weeks (I work offshore) I'll try the premium settings for a week and see how it differs. So far not overly impressed with regular settings.:naw:

mcnaught6 03-03-2008 12:18 PM

lowering the temp with the programmer will not do anything if you haven't changed your thermostat to a lower temp one.

JulietKilo 03-03-2008 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mcnaught6 (Post 368946)
lowering the temp with the programmer will not do anything if you haven't changed your thermostat to a lower temp one.

It will do something, when your coolant temp is say 195 or lower your computer has the fan off. The thermostat is shut because its below its cooling temp.

When the engine warms up to say 210 or more the coolant flows when the mechanical thermostat opens up and the computer kicks on the fan at a set temp.

If you change the temp on the fan, the coolant will still be cooled more (including the transmission if a cooler is installed by the radiator) but wont be pumped into the engine until the thermostat kicks open mechanically to cool off the block.

I would and plan on adjusting the temp down about 10 degrees. Maybe we can get Hypertech's thoughts on this as well.