Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

What would you like in a snorkel design?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rugged_Ridge
This is being addressed. We also have a dual battery tray kit so I have to make it work with all our parts....
Wow...I didn't know you had a dual battery kit. Is it already up on your site and available for sale?

Getting back to the snorkel. I also agree with many of the other posts that the stock airbox should be replaced. As we all know, there isn't much room under the hood for much of anything that didn't come with the JK. If I had the means to design a dual battery kit and snorkel, I would definitely look into using a much smaller airbox with a different filter similar to those used in CAI kits (assuming I could still get the necessary airflow.) I believe having a smaller airbox might provide just enough space for an auxilliary fuse/relay box, which would obviously be a plus with a dual battery setup. Ideally, from the passenger side firewall forward you could have dual side by side batteries, then the stock fuse box, then an auxilliary box, then the new airbox/snorkel/filter combination towards the front of the Jeep.

I guess what I'm really thinking of is a complete redesign of the entire POS plastic bracket holding up everything on passenger side of the engine bay. Once you had the right bracket, you could design components to compliment (i.e. dual battery, aux. fuse/relay box, snorkel w/airbox.) Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks for asking for our input.

Edit: I keep forgetting to mention price. If it was more functional and built better, I wouldn't care if the price point was the same or higher than the competition. I'm not looking for a cheaper alternative, I'm looking for a better one.

Last edited by Sharkey; 07-15-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for an intake that comes with its own airbox. Trying to seal up the stock box seems like too much hassle and still leaves room for the possibility of something getting in.

No cutting would be nice...

Price is negotiable upon quality and durability.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mskh20
Wow...I didn't know you had a dual battery kit. Is it already up on your site and available for sale?

Getting back to the snorkel. I also agree with many of the other posts that the stock airbox should be replaced. As we all know, there isn't much room under the hood for much of anything that didn't come with the JK. If I had the means to design a dual battery kit and snorkel, I would definitely look into using a much smaller airbox with a different filter similar to those used in CAI kits (assuming I could still get the necessary airflow.) I believe having a smaller airbox might provide just enough space for an auxilliary fuse/relay box, which would obviously be a plus with a dual battery setup. Ideally, from the passenger side firewall forward you could have dual side by side batteries, then the stock fuse box, then an auxilliary box, then the new airbox/snorkel/filter combination towards the front of the Jeep.

I guess what I'm really thinking of is a complete redesign of the entire POS plastic bracket holding up everything on passenger side of the engine bay. Once you had the right bracket, you could design components to compliment (i.e. dual battery, aux. fuse/relay box, snorkel w/airbox.) Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks for asking for our input.

Edit: I keep forgetting to mention price. If it was more functional and built better, I wouldn't care if the price point was the same or higher than the competition. I'm not looking for a cheaper alternative, I'm looking for a better one.

We have them in stock now... I'll get the instructions posted up on our site as well.
http://www.omix-ada.com/jeep-parts/p...temNo=11214.53

At this time We are exploring a filter replacement box or reusing the factory box. Getting the air tubes back up and into the box (without cuting new holes) is really tight.
Hoping to do a space saving replacement inline filter housing. Think of it as a CAI tied into a snorkel.
As with anything we need to look at the total tooling cost and return on investment. In the end it's about turning a profit. Otherwise I don't have a job

So far we are on track with most of the posted ideas. We want it to be a modular design in the tradition of our XHD bumper. Pay for the basic system and add the A-pillar (w/s frame) extension if you want for a little extra money. This way we can keep the cost down for those not ready to dump a lot of money. It's a system that looks to be working for us.

I already have a number of drawings for the cowl (low) mount. Will be getting to play with the look of the inlet now that we have the function worked out.

As for working with other roof racks and light bars I will try to make this work. It's not as easy as it might sound. Might have to place the A-pillar (high) intake inbound to clear most designs but this would screw the w/s light mounts. There will be compromises, just can't avoid it.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd like to see a snorkel molded into the right fender flare assembly. The duct would be integrated into the top part of the flare with a stub opening up on to which you could either attach a hummer like straight tube intake, or a long elbow and tube that would run back and up higher onto the window frame. Where the duct penetrates the body could transition to the bottom of the fender flare so you don't have to cut the hood.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Humvee style...a filter setup that completely replaces the square panel in front of the windshield on the passenger side...new airbox or inline filter CAI setup. As little cutting as possible...350$ range
Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default less is more, do something different

Someone already stated that here, but why go with a traditional snorkel?
H1

J8

The H1 snorkel is but ugly but some tweaking could make it appealing and it would not get the way of most other mods ( except window mounted lights )

I think no cutting is asking a bit much, don't see how that would be possible.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dosen't take the space needed for a dual battery tray.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
I don't care about cutting into the hood, Hell I've already drilled and cut into it elsewhere on the Jeep so that doesn't bother me at all. Price I don't really care about that either as long as it's functional and performs the way it's designed that's all I really care about. The ONE MAJOR gripe that I have---Please for the love of God make it work with the damn MBRP light bar which it hopefully close to your's!!! I can't stand the fact that I'm ostrasized between choosing a light bar and a snorkel when I already have the Rack installed on the hard top. So abve anything else YOU GUY's make this work with that light bar and I'd gladly hand over whatever you're asking...because if not I'm going to have to have one fabbed up that works with the rac and can fit the AEV which would cost me a ton of money and I'd rather not go that way.. PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!
I agree with Fadeout, for obvious reasons. I have the MBRP rack, and will have the full rack extension soon. I only care about (other than compatability with the MBRP rack) durability. Thats why I got a Jeep in the first place. I want a rugged ass snorkle that I dont have to worry about at all. I just know the thing will always WORK. I like the H1 idea too.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Design a snorkel that is fully integrated into a lightbar, windshield lights, and mirror relocation. That way its a solid one-stop piece for JK's and folks can add lights and mirrors at their leisure.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

I want it to make my JK fly, with make 35's roll without gearing, be indestructible, sound like a Jet, fire laser beams, and be under $100

Quick Reply: What would you like in a snorkel design?