Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

$250 for spark plugs?

Old 10-12-2015, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpinjoe
Stopped by Napa on my way home from work Friday and $67 later I had 6 new Champion Plugs (OEM) and new Napa spark plug wires - and tackled the project this morning.

Wasn't sure if I should remove the wheel well lining (or complete fender) on passenger side so i figured I'd go one plug at a time and if I ran into trouble I'd start removing stuff. The good news is I din't have to remove the lining or fender to get to the plugs on the passenger side.

Getting the plugs out and re-routing the wires one at a time was easy. Getting the plugs back in on the passenger side was somewhat of a learning experience. Make sure you look closely at the angle the old plug is pointing at before you remove it. This will help tremendously when you are trying to get the new plug into the hole and doing it somewhat blindly. Same angle = plug goes in easier.

I have big hands and was worried about getting to the final plug but it was not that difficult. Just put the hook up until it rests on the windshield and you'll have plenty of room once you push some of the hoses and wires to the side and out of the way. Be sure to double check everything when you put it back together to make sure you didn't accidentally dislodge one of the hoses while moving stuff.

I used di-electric grease on new wires at both ends and a very light coat of anti-sieze on the new plugs but it probably was not necessary. The old ones came out easy but did show signs of rust around the threads.

Another tip - when removing the old plug wires twist the boot clockwise or counterclockwise before removing. If you try to pull it straight off it may break. None of mine broke and I had the new set waiting anyway.

So I took it out for a cruise and it seems like my acceleration is improved but that may just be in my head. It seems like before I had good acceleration out of the gate but when try to go faster I would press the pedal and nothing would happen for a few seconds until it was really down to the floor. Now it seems like there is consistent acceleration all the way through. I need to test this theory when getting onto the highway to see if true.

The slight ticking is gone when the engine is at idle - not sure if this was related to the old plugs/wires.

Total time was 45 minutes for the project and it was one of the easiest things I've done to the Jeep. Just need to take your time with the passenger side plugs/wires.

Thanks again for all the replies!!! Glad I did not have the dealer do this
Is this on a 3.6 or 3.8 ?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2008 JK with 3.8l engine

Quick Reply: $250 for spark plugs?