Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

[B]Screw the Doors?[/B]

Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [B]Screw the Doors?[/B]

So it took the front doors off this weekend (had to leave the rears on because of the kiddies). When I put them back on I was considering not putting the retaining screw back in the bottom.

Anyone run this way? My old FJ40 and my roomate's CJ7 didn't have any retaining bolts on the doors. I know it might make it easier to steal the doors, but other than that, any problems? It seems like they can't come out as long as the door is latched.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave the screws out all summer. they'll go back in this fall/winter when the doors will be on full time. I did this last year and had no problems. I know many others do this as well.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had the retainer screws in since last June.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Jedi Master

I took mine out November 2006... Its fine without them..

however. It would be easy for someone to steal your doors
Old 05-27-2008, 05:13 AM
JK Freak

I've run without screws since the first time I took off the doors. No issue, although I may put them back on in the winter, to help keep salt out of there.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

I can't even get my doors off but the screws have been off of mine for months.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I took them off the week I brought my JK home and haven't put them back on since then. I will admit that just last week, the thought ran through my head that in the event of a roll-over in traffic my doors could possibly become projectiles. But I let the thought pass.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

I had mine off for the for the first time this weekend. I was wondering about the screws.

What a great feeling wheeling down the highway and yesterday in the NJ Pine Barrens.

Gonna rain today. Gotta put the doors back on and the top up
Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

if your doors are shut and locked, someone isn't going to be able to steal your doors without breaking into your jeep and opening the doors....with that said, if someone wants the doors, the extra one minute it would take them to remove the torx screw themselves isn't going to keep them from stealing it.

the door is heavy enough, that leaving the screws out isn't a safety issue.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

The first time I took the doors off, I put the screws in a zip-lok bag and put in the storage compartment in the rear and I haven't seen them since. I have 52K miles on the Jeep without incident. The only time they will go back on is if I sell it and whoever buys it puts them on.

I don't understand what their purpose is. If the door is open, the weight holds them in place. If the door is closed it's locked and they can't come off anyway... Seriously, what are they there for??

Quick Reply: [B]Screw the Doors?[/B]