Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

08 JK Spicer axel upgrade

Old 10-12-2018, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 JK Spicer axel upgrade

Hello everyone, newb here. So I'm looking to replace my front driver side axel with the heavier duty Spicer axel that they sell on extreme terrain. I've read the reviews which all state that if it's going into an (07-11) model like mine, you have to grind down the hub bolt flange. Can someone post a pic of the area that needs to be ground down? Im really unfamiliar with that. I heard these are beefier and better when using a bigger wheel and tire combo. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Here is the link:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/dana-30-frnt-driver-up-2014616-1.html#customerReviews
Old 10-12-2018, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

How do you use your jeep? Are you wanting to put larger tires on but are worried about your u-joint size?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

I recently put on 35" tires on it. I de ided to do a little offroading soon after. I notice that in 4wd when I turned to the left it made a loud clicking noise. Figured it's the driverside axle. I noticed the beefier replacement online for a decent price. So I figured why not.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you are capable, popping a new u-joint in there is really cheap and would do the trick. I wouldn't feel like you have to have a larger upgraded u-joint to run a 35 and do some normal off-roading. I'd venture to guess that could be the original factory unit that made it 10 years and is just a normal wear and tear item.

In regards to your actual original question....I can't fathom what they're talking about.

If they're talking about the bearing bolts that hold the hub on.....the flanges on those 13mm bolts aren't that big....I can't imagine having to grind those off. Nor would I feel ok doing that.....your hub is only being held on by 3 13mm bolts!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
If you are capable, popping a new u-joint in there is really cheap and would do the trick. I wouldn't feel like you have to have a larger upgraded u-joint to run a 35 and do some normal off-roading. I'd venture to guess that could be the original factory unit that made it 10 years and is just a normal wear and tear item.

In regards to your actual original question....I can't fathom what they're talking about.

If they're talking about the bearing bolts that hold the hub on.....the flanges on those 13mm bolts aren't that big....I can't imagine having to grind those off. Nor would I feel ok doing that.....your hub is only being held on by 3 13mm bolts!

I think your right $20 vs $200. It's a no brainier. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: 08 JK Spicer axel upgrade