Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

08 TIPM and Clock Spring

Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hanging free
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 TIPM and Clock Spring

Well, after just trying to ignore it and not having a windshield washer (fuse pulled before it burned out because it runs constantly with fuse in), no power locks, random honking, and now a *ding every 10 seconds while driving because the airbag warning light comes on and off the entire time. I sucked it up and I am at the stealership getting a new TIPM and Clock Spring. They extended the warranty on the CS for the 07's not the 08's, yet. I called Chrysler to try and get some help but no love.
I will be hanging on to the receipt with fingers crossed for a recall or warranty extension.
2008, 121,000 miles JKU
Old 04-21-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Have you check to make sure your grounds are good
Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hanging free

Yes, gave everything a shot first. Cleaned and redid grounds. I am about 98% positive. I will know soon ($$). The TIPM has been on the fritz for about 8 months, the whole gremlin attack, horn, wipers, washer spray and lights. Pulled a few fuses and just dealt with it. The CS has been about 3 weeks, I hear the *ding in my sleep now.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to do the clock spring change too. What a joke.

Chrysler wouldn't help and my local stealership tried bending me over. I called another dealer and they quoted half of the first dealer. I told Chrysler that too and they spoke to the first stealership, who promptly did an adjustment for me. No matter I picked up my jeep and got the part separately. Doing it myself (actually with a friend who already had to do his). This made the final cost under $200.00.

I saved my receipt and filed a notice with NHTSA.

BTW you may note that the right hand drive jeeps (city and postal jeeps) past 2007 had their clock springs recalled. The notice pointed out that they had their windows down a lot so dust go into their clock springs...... geez I live in AZ with dust and warm weather, guess Chrysler figures I use A/C all the time....

Quick Reply: 08 TIPM and Clock Spring