Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1/2 Doors for full doors ?

Old 12-17-2011, 04:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffnwjk
Bump. anyone switch wiring when they traded doors
Not sure I understand exactly but if I do then you have power full doors. The other guy has a set of halfs on a jeep that is NOT originally power equipped. Is that correct? if so:

You can take the half doors and change the power-connecting block to fit your power-equipped jeep. Without replacing the entire wiring harness. But unless you change the the original half-door latch to a power latch in the half door, you will lose the power-locks feature.

He can also change the power-block but will only be telling the jeep if the door is open or not. A non-power equipped jeep cannot simply be made to accept power doors (locks/windows). The non-door wiring and switches (and programming) isn't there.

Swapping in-door wiring harnesses will not make his non-power jeep able to utilize the power features of the full door.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet

Not sure I understand exactly but if I do then you have power full doors. The other guy has a set of halfs on a jeep that is NOT originally power equipped. Is that correct? if so:

Yes

You can take the half doors and change the power-connecting block to fit your power-equipped jeep. Without replacing the entire wiring harness. But unless you change the the original half-door latch to a power latch in the half door, you will lose the power-locks feature.

I understand this.

He can also change the power-block but will only be telling the jeep if the door is open or not. A non-power equipped jeep cannot simply be made to accept power doors (locks/windows). The non-door wiring and switches (and programming) isn't there.

We want to switch wiring and switches.

Swapping in-door wiring harnesses will not make his non-power jeep able to utilize the power features of the full door.
Thing we will swap.
1)Doors
2)the locks (so keyed same)
3)all window switches
4)complete wires and harness that control doors and Windows.

1)Is this all we need to do?
2)Can it be done?
3)Or do I not understand your above Statement
Old 12-17-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is more complicated than you think. That said, it's not all that bad. First off, yes, swap the locks out. Second, if you want to keep your power equipment, you will need to buy new door latch mechanisms. They can be had for about $50 per door online at several different sites. (search the forum for part numbers or go to your local dealer.) The latch mechanism has the electric locking mechanism built into it. You will also need a wiring harness for power accessories from the dealership. I bought mine for $20 each at the dealer. For your Jeep, just hook it back up after install, and your in business. For his Jeep, well, that's where things get trickier. His Jeep doesn't have the harness for the locks and windows, nor does it have the switches. He will need some sort of switches and a few relays to make it work, but it could probably be done for $100 and a few beers on a weekend afternoon. He will need window switches, door lock switches, a little bit of 16 gauge wire, and some 6 conductor trailer light wiring harnesses. Run 12 volt power to the switches and the relays, and then from the relay, run the output for the door locks, and for the windows to the area by the current door connector at the kick panel. The relays effectively power the door locks and windows, the switches just trigger the relays. (google it, you'll find it.) Cut the harness connectors off at the door and the kick panel, just be sure to mark what color or wire matches up with which one on the opposite connector. You will have to search and find which wire in the door side goes to what accessory, but that shouldn't be too difficult to find. Replace the connectors you cut off with the new trailer wire harnesses, and you are good to go. This can be a daunting project if you don't do your homework, but with a little planning and research, you should be fine. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mvnolan
This is more complicated than you think. That said, it's not all that bad. First off, yes, swap the locks out. Second, if you want to keep your power equipment, you will need to buy new door latch mechanisms. They can be had for about $50 per door online at several different sites. (search the forum for part numbers or go to your local dealer.) The latch mechanism has the electric locking mechanism built into it. You will also need a wiring harness for power accessories from the dealership. I bought mine for $20 each at the dealer. For your Jeep, just hook it back up after install, and your in business. For his Jeep, well, that's where things get trickier. His Jeep doesn't have the harness for the locks and windows, nor does it have the switches. He will need some sort of switches and a few relays to make it work, but it could probably be done for $100 and a few beers on a weekend afternoon. He will need window switches, door lock switches, a little bit of 16 gauge wire, and some 6 conductor trailer light wiring harnesses. Run 12 volt power to the switches and the relays, and then from the relay, run the output for the door locks, and for the windows to the area by the current door connector at the kick panel. The relays effectively power the door locks and windows, the switches just trigger the relays. (google it, you'll find it.) Cut the harness connectors off at the door and the kick panel, just be sure to mark what color or wire matches up with which one on the opposite connector. You will have to search and find which wire in the door side goes to what accessory, but that shouldn't be too difficult to find. Replace the connectors you cut off with the new trailer wire harnesses, and you are good to go. This can be a daunting project if you don't do your homework, but with a little planning and research, you should be fine. Good luck.
Thanks.
1)I am willing to switch the switches for Windows.
2)the door locks located in full doors I'm giving him
3)if we swap apples to apples with wiring starting all the way coming from fuse box. Would this eliminate a lot more confusions.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

All the way from the fuse box still won't work. It's all wired into the can bus harness. The computer controls everything. It's a huge PITA, but it's what we have to deal with. You might as well just keep your switches and find something aftermarket to give him. The way I explained previously is the only way to do it that is economically feasible. The truth is, if I were him I would just install an aftermarket keyless entry or an alarm. A decent stereo shop could do it for him for a couple hundred dollars. He won't have switches, but the keyfob would do it for him. Just my 2 cents. I put power locks in my Jeep with the factory actuators and installed an alarm to control the locks. Easiest way to do it. You still need the relays, but the alarm guys already know how to do all this. Good luck, and enjoy the half doors.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your help. Seems like alot of work and i hope the guy with the half doors is willing to do this. i feel like this is a great deal and would hate to see it fall thru becouse we dont know how.

Quick Reply: 1/2 Doors for full doors ?