JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   20 Minutes to Refill Gas...here is what fixed mine! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/20-minutes-refill-gas-here-what-fixed-mine-325230/)

jstikel3 08-16-2015 06:58 PM

20 Minutes to Refill Gas...here is what fixed mine!

So I experienced the same issue so many of us have with the gas blowback. After months of sticking my ear down beside the pump to hear when to shut it off I got fed up and had the stealership replace the filler neck. To my surprise they treated me very well and no BS.

Soon after I started having a CEL EVAP leak code that kept on coming on and off. I was also having issues actually filling my tank up. The nozzle would shut off every couple seconds and take forever to fill up. After checking all the vacuum lines and evap system I took it back in. They ran a smoke test and their best guess was it was the ESIM, or vapor leak detection pump. They wanted $250 to replace it (1.5hr labor). I politely said thats crazy since it will take longer to lift the Jeep than change the part. Did it myself for <$30 with a new seal and 5 minutes of my time and fixed my PITA gas problem.

So anyone who is having the same issue at the gas pump hopefully this will help you out. The only place I could find that had the part was Autozone and the dealership had the seal.

Jeek.OlllllllO 08-16-2015 07:53 PM

Same here have the same issue but I'm able fill up like regular just by lifting it up lol but I'm not going to the dealer and I have no check engine light lol

jstikel3 08-19-2015 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO (Post 4133896)
Same here have the same issue but I'm able fill up like regular just by lifting it up lol but I'm not going to the dealer and I have no check engine light lol

I tried it all and could not get it to fill without cutting off automatically. Only reason I went to dealership was because the filler neck was a recall and I came out of pocket $0.00 otherwise I don't come near that place.

EHarris 08-19-2015 07:27 PM

Mine is a 2008 and they not only replaced the filler hose but the entire tank also. The recall for the 2008 is for the tank and hose.

Jeek.OlllllllO 08-19-2015 07:33 PM

Yeah got that replaced but it made it worst then after a while I was able to put gas by lifting it up

Desert Fox 08-20-2015 06:48 AM

My '08 was not so great

I had the blow back problem with my '08 JKUX and the dealer replaced the tank, hose and several other parts without so much as a frown, thank you very much. But that's where my problems started. A few weeks later I took a friend and his wife out to the desert for an afternoon of sightseeing. Things were going fine until I started smelling gas anytime I slowed down to cross deep sand or go over a rock. Then it just stopped dead. No gas to the engine. I crawled around under the JK and saw lots of gas dripping from the top rear of the tank. Bottom line: The techs had not properly attached the fuel line from the tank to the engine and it disconnected after a day of normal trail vibration and gas line pressure. The result was an $800 tow bill, which Jeep didn't pick up. There's a lot more to this story, but you get the general idea.

jstikel3 08-20-2015 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Desert Fox (Post 4135025)
I had the blow back problem with my '08 JKUX and the dealer replaced the tank, hose and several other parts without so much as a frown, thank you very much. But that's where my problems started. A few weeks later I took a friend and his wife out to the desert for an afternoon of sightseeing. Things were going fine until I started smelling gas anytime I slowed down to cross deep sand or go over a rock. Then it just stopped dead. No gas to the engine. I crawled around under the JK and saw lots of gas dripping from the top rear of the tank. Bottom line: The techs had not properly attached the fuel line from the tank to the engine and it disconnected after a day of normal trail vibration and gas line pressure. The result was an $800 tow bill, which Jeep didn't pick up. There's a lot more to this story, but you get the general idea.

WOW...thats sucks I hate hearing stories like that. Did you contact corporate about this issue that their tech's caused or just that dealership?

Desert Fox 08-20-2015 12:23 PM

A somewhat happy ending

While the dealership didn't pickup the cost of the tow from the desert, AAA did pay for it, so everything worked out in the end. I never did understand the dealership's reasoning for not paying for the tow bill. What happened was when the junior techs replaced the tank and other parts, they never had the master tech check their work. They thought that it was an easy job and didn't want to bother the master tech. BTW, dropping the gas tank on a JKU is no small task as the skid plate is the primary support member. It took a hydraulic jack and four techs to remove/replace it.

Yankee 08-25-2015 04:50 AM

My 07 has always been finicky about filling up with gas. Sometimes it is fine and at times I have to fill real slow. It seems to vary with different pump nozzles and pressures too.

I never did anything about it because the fix at the dealer seems to be that they replace the tank and more. The Jeep has been running near perfect for 8 years. I have just become patient when fueling up instead of tempting fate having the dealer wrench on it.

kik 08-25-2015 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Yankee (Post 4136569)
My 07 has always been finicky about filling up with gas. Sometimes it is fine and at times I have to fill real slow. It seems to vary with different pump nozzles and pressures too.

I never did anything about it because the fix at the dealer seems to be that they replace the tank and more. The Jeep has been running near perfect for 8 years. I have just become patient when fueling up instead of tempting fate having the dealer wrench on it.

What they do now is replace the fuel fill tube as per the updated TSB. The new design has a check valve that prevents the fuel spilling when refueling. It's an easy fix and the tank doesn't get removed.