Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2007 jk where did my oil go?

Old 09-30-2010, 01:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 jk where did my oil go?

I have owned my Jeep JK since February 2007. I have had the oil religiously changed every 3-4,000 miles (Used synthetic oil to have the "Wiggle room"). Friday my wife said she heard a warning "Bing" and thought the oil light lit up. Saturyday I drove the car someplace and nothing. On the way home it "Binged" 3 or 4 times but I didn't see anything lit on the dash board. When I got home I checked the oil and there was only one and half quarts of oil in the engine. Now I changed the oil the last week in June and put approx. 3800 miles over the summer on the car. There is no visible leakage on or around the engine. Diagnosis by the dealership is that the engine is shot, there was metal filings in the oil. Has anyone else had this issue? They have also told me that it is normal to burn approx one quart every 1,000 miles. If that was the case I would be down three-4 quarts every oil change!

The dealership suggested I contact Chrysler. So far Chrysler has "Indicated" they "Might" assist me with the replacement of the engine but since this particular dealership will not take payment directly from Chrysler I will have to pay up front and wait for reimbursement from Chrysler.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would strongly suggest to find a dealership that will take payment directly from Chrysler. With something as expensive as replacing the engine I would never take a chance that MAYBE Chrysler would reimburse you. Just me being paranoid and not trusting Chrysler? Maybe....but I would just hate to see a fellow Jeep owner stuck with a $5k bill due to the company's mistake of making engines that eat oil.

Also for those of you who have oil consumption issues, I would suggest running 5W-30 in place of the 5W-20. The difference between these oils is that only when HOT the 5W-30 is -slightly- more viscous. Having the same first number (5 in the 5W-20 and 5W-30) is the "cold start" viscosity, so it shouldn't make it any harder to start but should prevent at least a little oil consumption during operation after warm-up. Also for reference I'm both a mechanical engineer and a petroleum engineer/fuel scientist so I know my stuff and also my wife's car takes 5W-20 as well BUT right in the owners manual it lists 5W-20 as the "high fuel economy" option that is recommended but 5W-30 works just the same in the engine.

Last edited by tpm152; 09-30-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Poor little kittens
Old 09-30-2010, 03:53 AM
JK Junkie

People are always putting those cute, little kitties in harms way on this forum. It's such a tragedy.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same issue. I have to go to the dealership for a recall notice and I'm going to bring it up. This is my first Jeep but I have owned all kinds of cars / trucks and never seen this kind of consumption with out a leak. I heard a knock on Sunday and figured I would change the oil this week. When I pulled out the stick I was almost 3qts low.
Keep us posted on what they do for you.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow! I can't believe that your engines haven't disintegrated with such low oil levels. I had the same issues with oil consumption, but never got below more than a quart low. When my engine gave up the ghost, it was a whole 3/4 of a quart low. Started knocking a little at start up (thought it was just the oil filter, planned on changing the oil/filter), then spun a main bearing. Metal in the oil just like the OP posted.
Elapsed time from start up knock to failure: less than a week. I have heard (unofficially) that there was a bad batch of engines from '07-early '08. But I seriously doubt we will ever hear that coming out of Chrysler/Jeep.

Apparently, the 3.8L needs an oil IV drip so that it is never more than 1/100th of a quart low ...................

Anthony
Old 09-30-2010, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

My day is now ruined. All I can think about is how cute, little kittens are then my mind flashes to blood all over thier poor little kitten bodies. I hate this world!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

I am amazed how most people don't check their oil on a regular basis anymore.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same thing happen, used syn oil. Heres what I did.....went back to regular oil and Mopar oil filter. So far no oil consumption and no ticking on start up after 1000 miles. I will keep you posted.

thanks for posting this....I thought I was going crazy.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Grumpmeister;1870741] They have also told me that it is normal to burn approx one quart every 1,000 miles.

I've said it before and I'll say it now, if anyone told me it was normal for this engine to burn 1 qt for every 1000 miles, I would call B.S.! I don't give a damn what they say Chrysler tells them.
I can hear it now, " use 5w-20 for increased fuel efficiency, but you'll probably burn 1 qt for every 1000 miles." yeah, right. I have run mobil 1 5w-20 since july 3rd of 2007 and have never used or "lost" any oil to speak of.
I also agree with ronjenx, what has happened to the days when people would check their oil level on a regular basis? This could save people a lot of headaches if they notice the oil consumption and gave themselves time to do something about it before the dreaded ding or bing or rattle, rattle, "Why did my engine just shut off?" moment.
Check your oil level, 1 qt for every 1000 miles is not normal!

Quick Reply: 2007 jk where did my oil go?