Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2007 Sarah sometimes won't start

Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Sarah sometimes won't start

The dash lights come on but the engine won't crank. I pump the clutch and it usually starts. I'm thinking maybe it's a clutch safety start switch that maybe I could just bypass. I am not sure if the pumping the clutch fixes it because I also turn the key several times. It's getting worse and I am afraid of getting stuck somewhere. Any thoughts on troubleshooting would be great. I am afraid to take an electrical problem to the dealer. By the way it has 70K miles mostly highway and stays in the garage a lot. It only four wheels in the summer on the beach a few times and lately after a rare snow storm. Thanks for any advice. Great forum.

2007 Jeep JK
Old 02-08-2014, 07:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a write up awhile back about an override switch for the clutch. I think the end user was more focused on using remote start.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like the clutch safety switch. It should be a two wire switch that can be jumpered open to test. Another way is when it don't start put it in 4 lo and start it while it is in gear (be careful in a parking spot it will move). If it does start you know it is the switch. Hard part is you may not be able to get it in lo and have to put it in neutral and manual move the jeep an inch or so to get it to slide into low.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WINGIT
Sounds like the clutch safety switch. It should be a two wire switch that can be jumpered open to test. Another way is when it don't start put it in 4 lo and start it while it is in gear (be careful in a parking spot it will move). If it does start you know it is the switch. Hard part is you may not be able to get it in lo and have to put it in neutral and manual move the jeep an inch or so to get it to slide into low.
Are you saying the clutch safety switch is designed to not operate in 4 low?

2007 Jeep JK
Old 02-08-2014, 08:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jeep is designed to start in 4 low in the event the clutch is submerged and the Jeep is stalled. This way the clutch is not gummed up with water, mud, etc. when the pedal is depressed.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
The Jeep is designed to start in 4 low in the event the clutch is submerged and the Jeep is stalled. This way the clutch is not gummed up with water, mud, etc. when the pedal is depressed.
Thanks for the info. I did not know that...it makes a lot of sense. That's one way I can see if it is the switch the next time it won't start.

2007 Jeep JK

Quick Reply: 2007 Sarah sometimes won't start