Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 Wrangler Battery Charge Light / No Fog Lamps

Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MSmitty
That is the funniest title I have ever seen.
Haha. Fag lamps! I couldn't find these on the quadratec site.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fixed it thanks

Last edited by sirhcman; 12-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sirhcman
Guys thanks for all the help! I ran a multimeter on the battery (only pulling 12 volts) and while running it started around 13.96 and kept going down (to 13.5 volts). The alternator began to really make a "whine" noise so I got it up to my local shop today for them to check it out.

I'll report back with what they tell me

Thanks again!
Hmmmmm. The alternator does seem to be at the low end. The alternator should output between 13.5 and 15 VDC, and should be tested with the engine idling and electrical accessories, such as the radio and headlights, turned off. A reduced output may be a sign that the alternator is failing, but the drive belt and wiring should be inspected before replacing the alternator.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Hmmmmm. The alternator does seem to be at the low end. The alternator should output between 13.5 and 15 VDC, and should be tested with the engine idling and electrical accessories, such as the radio and headlights, turned off. A reduced output may be a sign that the alternator is failing, but the drive belt and wiring should be inspected before replacing the alternator.
Yea it was tested @ idle with no lights/radio/accessories on. I have it at my shop now and they are giving it the once over to diagnose the problem
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Wouldn't you have to know, and add up, what each item draws?
Otherwise, you don't know how many amps to look for on the readout.
the alternator should put out rated amps regardless the draw is from the battery
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by carolinajk
the alternator should put out rated amps regardless the draw is from the battery
Are you sure?
I'm pretty sure the amperage output matches what is being drawn from the battery and accessories.

In other words, the meter reading will be less if all accessories are off, more as you turn things on.

That's why I mentioned you'd have to know what each item draws in your other post.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Are you sure?
I'm pretty sure the amperage output matches what is being drawn from the battery and accessories.

In other words, the meter reading will be less if all accessories are off, more as you turn things on.

That's why I mentioned you'd have to know what each item draws in your other post.
as long as you have enough draw on the battery by turning on all that stuff you should get the alt to put out at least 90 percent . there are more advanced system analyzers that are precise but that is how the delco peeps taught us to ck with a ampmeter and voltmeter . if the batt is fully charged and no load is on it you are riwill be enough to get it ght the alt wouldnt put out . just starting it up and thrning on blower lights etc will be enough to pull batt down enough

Last edited by carolinajk; 12-30-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your fuse box? If you blew a fuse in your gaydar system, it's possible that the fag lamps won't light up at all.

Sorry about that. Last time... moving on.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Alternator was going out, got it replaced and back in business. Thanks again for all the help guys!

Quick Reply: 2007 Wrangler Battery Charge Light / No Fog Lamps