Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2008 Unlimited front license plate

Old 11-05-2007, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Unlimited front license plate

I picked up my new Jeep (Steel Blue Beauty) a week ago and am lookng for some advice on how to attach the front license plate. CT requires front & back plates. There is a nice space between the fog lights, but apparently no way to get behind the bumper where it would mount. No built in mounting holes. Jeep HQ says to contact the dealer for a solution and the dealer says "Bring it in, we'll drill a couple holes for you". I don't think so!

Has anybody found a reasonable solution?

Oh by the way... Drove it in the driving rain with the freedom top and no leaks.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Congrats on the new ride! As far as the front plate, most of the Jeeps I have seen have four holes drilled into the bumper between the fogs for the plate. If you have spent any time here you should know this was coming!

Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah a newbie! Been looking at the posts for about a month waiting for delivery. Unfortunately there are no holes or any indication of where it should be drilled. The lack of holes seems to have surprised the dealer as well.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastboat
Yeah a newbie! Been looking at the posts for about a month waiting for delivery. Unfortunately there are no holes or any indication of where it should be drilled. The lack of holes seems to have surprised the dealer as well.
there are two little dimples right between the fog lights. Just screw your plate on there, running the screws into the dimples.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

I'll have to give it a closer look for dimples. I swear I didn't see anything, nor did the dealer.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastboat
I'll have to give it a closer look for dimples. I swear I didn't see anything, nor did the dealer.
they aren't real big, and you could miss them if you are not looking for 'em. They are just 2 round smooth dots on the front face of the bumper, as far apart as the screw holes in your plate, 'bout the size of a pencil eraser in diamater. Unless you have one of those fancy silver clad bumpers, them I dou no!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Well the center section where the plate should go is silver. Fancy.........? I'd prefer black like the rest of the bumper
Old 11-05-2007, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

My dealer had to drill holes on the plastic bumper. It isn't a big deal.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Talking Duct tape

No but seriously, my dealer put two screws into my bumper before I even bought it so I can't tell you anything.... Buy a better bumper?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I went to Auto Zone and bought a tag mounting bracket for like $5, then just screwed it onto the front bumper where I thought it looked centered....then screwed my tag onto that. It's just plastic, just line it up where you want it and maybe mark where the holes need to be with something....then just screw it on.

Bumper BEFORE tag:

Bumper AFTER tag:

Last edited by JK-KJ; 11-05-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Unlimited front license plate