Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 JKU just broke 200K Mi. never changed tranny fluid.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 JKU just broke 200K Mi. never changed tranny fluid.

Bought my 2009 JK used with 24,700 miles on it in January of 2012. Have done the usual fluids, oil changes etc.. Switched to full synthetic shortly after buying it.
However i have never done anything to the auto tranny fluid. I always heard you could be asking for issues changing fluid especially at higher miles.
Now that I am past 200K on it I am wondering if I am past the point of partial flush or total flush without possibly frying the tranny.
It runs fine with mostly highway miles on it to and from work (45 mi. each way) but this weekend I was wheeling on some decent inclines and noticed a burning smell when climbing. Almost like a burning clutch smell.
I'm thinking maybe the old fluid but I hate to do a flush and grenade the thing.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't speak to the Jeep trans but I can say I was in a similar situation with my Didge P/U a few years ago. Had about 160K on it and it was recommended I change the fluid. I did and within 200 miles the tranny went out and wouldn't move out of the parking spot. $1500 later it was back up and running. I was told by the shop that with that many miles when you flush the system the debris moves around and works its way into the valve body. Don't know if that is true or not but I can say changing the fluid was costly for me, didn't seem coincidental.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I sure wouldn't flush it. If anything, drop the pan, change the filter, and refill....but definitely wouldn't flush it.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I would definitely drop the pan and change the filter. 200k is a lot of miles for any one fluid in my opinion.

I don't perform this service myself since it makes a mess and I have limited space in my garage but I did a fluid change at 60k and dropped the pan and changed the filter at 120k. I'm on every 60k for this service now.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
I don't perform this service myself since it makes a mess and I have limited space in my garage but I did a fluid change at 60k and dropped the pan and changed the filter at 120k. I'm on every 60k for this service now.
I did this myself recently and it was a pain in the a$$ trying to do a “controlled spill"….at least on the 3.6L.....and my exhaust crossover is even out of the way unlike many others'. Next time I will definitely use a mittyvac and suck as much fluid out the dipstick as possible before dropping the pan.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Chris Fix is your Guy with the answers!!!

Watch this video where he explains the changing the fluid too much myths. Summary, you're not going to grenade your transmission by changing the fluid, what you may do if it's gone too long is wash out all the clutch material floating around in the old fluid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690DovjDAc Then when you're ready to change, watch his very thorough how to video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb_1wbiPz9g

Quick Reply: 2009 JKU just broke 200K Mi. never changed tranny fluid.