Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2010 jku parking brake issue

Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 jku parking brake issue

I bought my 2010 manual sahara jku used and ever since I have had it it has had an issue with the parking break. My driveway is on a hill and when I park and set the e brake sometimes it pulls up tight. Sometimes it pulls up tight and then makes a pop sound which then allows the handle to come up more. I have noticed this on level ground too. When I am backing out of my driveway I release the e break and then have to pull forward first for it to disengage. Also I was backing my trailer up my driveway and it seemed like the e break was engaging so I would stop an put the jeep in neutral let off the break and clutch and after a second what ever was binding up (clutch or e break I'm not totally sure) would release. My old tj had issues with the parking break also but it was more of just needing to tighten the cable that engages it. Also the tj had drum breaks in the back not disks like the jk. To my understanding the disk e break still works as a drum break. I am just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue with the varying tension or popping with the e break and if it could be a sign that something is wrong. Also any info on the backing up with a trailer issue would be nice to. I would appreciate any help.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could be experiencing Ebrake lock up.. This would mean that one would have to remove the rear rotors (which ever side or both sides) clean out the brake drum within the rotor or even replace the rotors and pads (yes the rear brakes have a hidden drum) clean these out because over time debris, mud etc can get caked up inside thus causing the Ebrake lock up.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Go to this thread to see how the parking brake lever works: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-135255/

When yours pops and releases, needing another tug, the clutch spring in the lever mechanism is probably slipping on the cable drum.

Get some brake cleaner and spray the spring through the brush seal at the base of the lever. Soak it well, while trying it a few times.
After it dries, it should work better.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Go to this thread to see how the parking brake lever works: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-135255/

When yours pops and releases, needing another tug, the clutch spring in the lever mechanism is probably slipping on the cable drum.

Get some brake cleaner and spray the spring through the brush seal at the base of the lever. Soak it well, while trying it a few times.
After it dries, it should work better.
I will give this a try thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 2010 jku parking brake issue