Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 Wrangler Emissions Recall L35

Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Wrangler Emissions Recall L35

I Just got my e-mail from my Dealer that there is a recall on My 2011 JKU. I got this info off of the "Owners" section on Jeep.com. Passing it along to others that might be affected.

EMISSIONS RECALL L35 – REPROGRAM PCM
DOWNSTREAM OXYGEN SENSOR SLOW RESPONSE MONITOR AND EGR MONITORS
Dear: (Name)
Chrysler has determined that some 2011 model year Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with a 3.8L
engine may require reprogramming of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

The problem is...

The PCM on your Jeep (VIN:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may have been inadvertently programmed with software that may fail to illuminate the MIL after detection of a Downstream Oxygen Sensor Slow Response Monitor or EGR Monitor fault. This can allow an improperly operating Oxygen Sensor or EGR system to go undetected and result in excessive exhaust emissions which may exceed EPA and California Emissions Standards.
What your dealer will do...

Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will reprogram your vehicle’s PCM. The work will take about 1⁄2 hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.
What you must do...
Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment.
If you need help...
If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403.
California residents...

The State of California requires the completion of emission recall repairs prior to vehicle registration renewal. Your dealer will provide you with a Vehicle Emission Recall Proof of Correction Form after the recall service is performed. Be sure to save this form since the California Department of Motor Vehicles may require that you supply it as proof that the recall has been performed.
Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions listed on the card apply to you or your vehicle. You may also update this information on the web at CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may send your original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement: Chrysler Recall Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8007, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Reimbursement.
In order to ensure your full protection under the emission warranty provisions, it is recommended that you have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could legally be determined to be a lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle. Further, without this repair, your vehicle may fail a state or local emission inspection test.
We are sorry for any inconvenience but trust that you understand our interest in clean air. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Customer Services / Field Operations Chrysler Group LLC Notification Code L35
Old 11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received this recall notice in the mail today for my 2011 2-door Rubicon.

Has anyone had this work done yet? Any issues or noticeable side effects after the PCM update?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got this notice for my 11 Rubi and my 10 Sport. Also got a recall notice for my soft top for my 11
Old 11-09-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I rec for 10 Rubi... Just had soft top recall performed 2 weeks ago. Just my luck. Another drop and wait...
Old 11-09-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I havent received anything in the mail yet, but I did see it on the owners section of the Jeep site. I think I'm going to wait to hear what the side effects are before bringing the jeep to the dealer.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder how this will effect the Superchip programming?
Do I go back to "stock mode", head to the stealership get this fix, then return the chip to my settings?
Or do I just deal with my AZ jeep not meeting Cali emissions?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

got recall, always worry about these - so wonder about performance diff if any.

guess i'll put SC back to stock in case that try to flash the unit and jack it up...

nah - i'll call the service dept and ask some questions
Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got mine in the mail for my 2010 Rubi. Mine is a L34 recall, but looks like the same thing. I am going to SC mine back to stock then retune it.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Finally did the L35 this week while dealer did oil change. Just anecdotal, but my '11 JKU "seems" smoother and quieter. I think the shift points on the auto trans have been changed.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

I had my 2011 JKU done about a month ago. I do not notice any change, good or bad. Didn't seem to effect gas milage.

I have read several comments where people felt like they saw improvements.

Quick Reply: 2011 Wrangler Emissions Recall L35