Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 acting weird

Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 acting weird

Having a weird issue with my JKU the last 2 days. Get in vehicle, fasten seat belt, crank it, engine fires up, runs for about 5 sec then dies. Crank it up again and motor cranks and cranks but no fired. Turn it off, pump pedal, crank, engine fires up runs for 10 seconds and dies. Crank it again, crank and crank but no fire. Pump pedal 3 or 4 times crank and engine fires up no issues.
Tonite same issue but takes about 10 min to fire up and wouldn't fire until I turned off traction control, and what is it ESB?
Anyone have the same issue or have a clue on what might be causing it?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM
JK Freak

Oh I forgot no idiot lights coming on and only has 9500 miles.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Turn your Ignition to the on but not start position wait till all the lights go out the cycle the key off to on 3 times stopping in the on position and it should show a code where your km are if it isn't throwing any codes you'll just see dashes then the word done. Once you have the code if any, search this forum for codes and there is a list of what each one means. This will give you an idea. Maybe it's a clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pump or maybe it's something in the computer. Regardless I would take it to the dealer.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

I'm assuming that since it has only 9500 miles on it that you're still under warranty, just take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Sorry RedRock. I feel like I've read more than my share of posts on '12 issues, but I haven't heard anything close to what is happening to your JK.

Hope it's something minor. Keep us posted.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

I've had a similar problem the last two weeks (5,500 miles), except mine would die when coming to a stop or after stopped. Dealer had it all weekend, and it cut off on them several times while idling. No codes and no check engine light. They finally traced the problem to a loose connector # C105 under the battery tray. I believe they had to remove the right side inner splash guard in the wheel well to access it, judging from the finger mark smudges everywhere. Hope this helps!

Mark
Old 09-05-2012, 12:45 AM
JK Freak

Well just to update you on the problem...It hasn't happened again, and I did nothing. The assumption is that perhaps bad gas or dirty injectors. Seems a litttle early for that problem but ran some injector cleaner in there anyways. So far no more issues, and fingers are crossed
Old 09-05-2012, 02:55 AM
JK Super Freak

My actual guess would have been bad gas...If there were no cdes...Did you go to a
different place for gas...Once a month i run a tank of super unleaded to clean injectors
and lines...Glad yours is all fixed up...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Kind of guesswork on my part but maybe it's the security system or the key. You could try a different key. The red light on the dash might be doing something if this is it but I'm not sure.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
Having a weird issue with my JKU the last 2 days. Get in vehicle, fasten seat belt, crank it, engine fires up, runs for about 5 sec then dies. Crank it up again and motor cranks and cranks but no fired. Turn it off, pump pedal, crank, engine fires up runs for 10 seconds and dies. Crank it again, crank and crank but no fire. Pump pedal 3 or 4 times crank and engine fires up no issues.
Tonite same issue but takes about 10 min to fire up and wouldn't fire until I turned off traction control, and what is it ESB?
Anyone have the same issue or have a clue on what might be causing it?
Alright guys just had a repeat of above instance and now I am beginning to get a little concerned. @ things of note: It seems to develop when tank is below 1/4. JK has 10k on it. So possible fuel pump, filter, or tank design issue??? What is recommended interval for fuel filter change?? This last time it happened twice before and after fillup and took me 15 min each time to get it started.

Quick Reply: 2012 acting weird