Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 fluid leak right rear wheel?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 fluid leak right rear wheel?

Spotted a leak of what looks like oil at the right rear axle where it meets the wheel. The black fluid is covering the shield adjacent to the disc on the inner side.

Seems unlikely to be brake fluid as the brakes are functioning fine and it does not look like it is coming from any of the brake connectors.

Could there be an oil leak from the axle at this spot?

Any ideas before it take it to the dealer?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Axle sounds like the only choice. Diff fluid is much darker than brake fluid. Is it thin like oil or thicker like grease?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattgt5
Axle sounds like the only choice. Diff fluid is much darker than brake fluid. Is it thin like oil or thicker like grease?
It's thin like oil from what I can tell. No leak at the diff. Only spot is out near wheel.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi

My guess would be that its diff fluid that has run down the axle tube to the wheel. Maybe a bad axle seal. Brake fluid is the only other fluid in that area but it is more beer colored. Diff fluid looks like thin motor oil
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM
kik
JK Freak

Bad axle seal. Take it in.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=kik;3128647]Bad axle seal. Take it in.[/QUOTE

That was my suspicion becasue it does not look like brake fluid and it is not running along axle from housing. Plan to take in on Thursday. Hope I don't blow it up by then . . . . .
Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dealership confirmed axle seal is leaking. They did not have parts on hand. Should be able to get it fixed this week. Hope it does not cause damage to operate vehicle with leaking axle seal.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Had the same reoccurring front axle seal leak with my 2008 Rubicon unlimited. The deAlership fixed it the first time the second time it leaked, right side again, it WA one week over a year and they wanted me to pay $800 to fix it. I declined but during their testing, they somehow fried my CPU and had to replace it. Karma?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had this problem on mine. I degreased my rim and underbody area after mine was fixed to remove all the gear oil that was sprayed everywhere by the spinning wheel.

As a side note, if a rear axle seal goes bad out of the blue, closely inspect the bearing and bearing race to make sure they are OK. On mine the bearing was failing which tore the seal. If in doubt put a new bearing and/or race in with the new seal, depending on what you see when you get in there.

Last edited by HillCountry_Cowboy; 07-30-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HillCountry_Cowboy
I've had this problem on mine. I degreased my rim and underbody area after mine was fixed to remove all the gear oil that was sprayed everywhere by the spinning wheel.

As a side note, if a rear axle seal goes bad out of the blue, closely inspect the bearing and bearing race to make sure they are OK. On mine the bearing was failing which tore the seal. If in doubt put a new bearing and/or race in with the new seal, depending on what you see when you get in there.
Good advice. I will discuss bearing with the dealership. Mine is covered with sprayed grease as well. What are the chances that the dealer will degrease? I am thinking low. Planned on doing the same so I can keep a close eye on any recurrence.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2012 fluid leak right rear wheel?