Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 JK Automatic Transmission Pan Torque Spec (A580)

Old 05-21-2021, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 JK Automatic Transmission Pan Torque Spec (A580)

Going to finally do my fluid and filter change and I can't find the torque spec. I keep finding references ranging between 70 and 110 in-lbs. That's a fairly wide range.... anyone got a line on a good reliable source for the torque spec?

Again - this is for the A580.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Alldata DIY says: 71in.lbs

Automatic trans bolt torque spec
Old 05-22-2021, 04:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,622 Posts

That was a fun job. I didn't do a very good job at a controlled spill even though I had it well planned and thought out. Next time I'll be sucking a lot of fluid out through the dipstick first. Before you start removing any easily accessed bolt, make sure you have a proper tool combination to get at those rear bolts. My exhaust crossover is relocated behind the cross member, and even with the extra clearance that rearmost bolt was a fun one. A couple of those bolts you'll need to be comfortable just getting them tight cuz there is no way to get a torque wrench on em.

I found a thin ratcheting bit driver like this is helpful to get at that hardest bolt in the rear as there's not much clearance with the crossmember (any socket or bit combination was too long to fit in there for me).

Old 05-22-2021, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn, reading that damn dipstick is a major PITA... Not sure if I'm low, middle or hot.....
Old 05-22-2021, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

So here's the answer - if you can't figure out how much fluid you have and there is fluid on the dipstick - you have too much Had to drain about half a quart and I'm good now. That suction gismo I bought for this job has mad this a breeze....

Was able to vacuum drain almost all the fluid from the pan. The issue I ran into was clearing the pan due to exhaust interference. I loosened the transmission mount nuts and used my bottle jack to lift up on the transfer case and was able to remove the pan.

The bolts by the crossmember weren't that big of an issue - used a small ratchet with a 1/4" socket and a short T30 bit. I was actually able to loosen them up without lifting the transmission. I was also able to use my small 1/4" drive torque wrench with the same socket and torx bit and was able to make sure that everything is nice and tight.

Drove around the block 4 times and no drips so far.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK Automatic Transmission Pan Torque Spec (A580)