Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 JKU rear brake pads recommendations?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Does your trailer have brakes? I perhaps have pulled the heaviest trailer the furthest of most people on this forum. I used to have a toy hauler that was 5000 pounds loaded. I pulled this with my 2012 jku for probably 5000 miles over a 3 year period. The trailer had brakes, so I didn't have to rely on the keeps brakes alone. Not to derail the thread, but for anyone towing a heavy trailer I strongly and highly recommend the smittybilt XRC rear bumper. It is rated for 5,000 pounds. I love mine and it made a very big improvement for my heavy towing with weight dist hitch.
Trailer dry is just a hair under 2K and has electrical brakes. I do feel a bit of a nose dive when I brake and it would be nice to even out the braking.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Btw going to powerstop - does it require to switch out the disks? My disks look good and I wonder if I can do just the pads.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by kejtar
Btw going to powerstop - does it require to switch out the disks? My disks look good and I wonder if I can do just the pads.
If your rotors look fine, then just do the pads. I've done brakes on many vehicles over the last 20 years. I very rarely change the rotors and all is fine. As long as they are not scored up.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've got miles on my rotors and just cleaned them up with a lightweight sanding disk before putting on the powerstops. They bed right in without issue.
The following users liked this post:
kejtar (05-16-2018)

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU rear brake pads recommendations?