Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 oil change

Old 05-08-2012, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 oil change

Dealer told me no break in needed for my 2012 JKUR....bullshit. And no early oil change needed. Well I broke her in according to the manual and advice from other break in posts on here, also just change my oil at 1000km and when I looked at the oil filter EVERY fin on the filter had four or five little shavings of metal which is probably normal from the new build but I'm glad I changed it and got it out of my jeep before it could do any damage. Once again the advice on here is awesome, listening to the dealer is like playing Russian roulette.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Remember, nobody cares about your Jeep as much as you do.

Even the manual gives a recommended break-in period.

Also, I found there is an app for the iPhone made by Jeep that has cool things like fluid capacities and such...and even has a break in recommendation.

Many people say "break-in" is a myth...but I say do whatever makes you feel right.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

There will be less shavings in modern engines that those of old. However, I would still change the oil early.

Break in's are not the same in modern engines either. I personally like the high RPM break in for modern engines, but that's controversial and I can only recommend researching your options.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unless your engine is a hand assembled, precision made and balanced and blueprinted from new assembly then yes, there will be a break in period. The construction quality and factory line assembly of a Jeep's engine aren't European super car quality so yes, there will be a break in.

How folks can say cars don't require that anymore I dunno. Then again how people think they can go 7500 miles before the first oil change I don't understand either.

Quick Reply: 2012 oil change