Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 Rubi Dana 44 Diff Covers not the same.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Rubi Dana 44 Diff Covers not the same.

So I noticed while swapping out my Differential Covers today with ARB diff covers that the stock front and rear covers are not the same. The front cover has the fill plug about an inch lower then the rear does. Why are these different? Should they be different? And do I need to keep that in mind when filling the front with fluid and then doing the rear? Or should I just go ahead and fill the front with about the same amount as the rear?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your front takes less than your rear! If I remember right it's 1.5 qts in front and 2.5 in rear.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Semper4x4
Your front takes less than your rear! If I remember right it's 1.5 qts in front and 2.5 in rear.
Yep. That's about what I put back in with the ARB's in place. Just didn't understand why they are different. Wasn't sure if the front diff cover was a screw up or something. Fill plug seemed low from all the pics I've seen of everyone else's, and even aftermarket diff covers.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The axle seals in the rear are on the outside end of the axle tubes so the gear oil goes into the axle tubes for lubrication. In the front, the oil seals keep the gear oil inside the differential only. This is why there is a difference in the oil capacity and why the oil level is higher in the rear.

Last edited by river2c; 09-02-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by river2c
The axle seals in the rear are on the outside end of the axle tubes so the gear oil goes into the axle tubes for lubrication. In the front, the oil seals keep the gear oil inside the differential only. This is why there is a difference in the oil capacity and why the oil level is higher in the rear.
Ahh gotcha. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2012 Rubi Dana 44 Diff Covers not the same.