Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 unreliable.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 unreliable.

I have a 2012 JKU at the dealership now. Since I purchased it new last year I have taken it to the dealership more than 7 times complaining that the front end is messed up. It chews up tires doesn't track straight and gets a death wobble. At first they tried an alignment tire rotation, but they couldn't align it. I brought it back and they recommended adjustable camber bolts. Since they weren't factory they opted to swap out the whole front axle. I didn't complain because it was all on thier dime. 10k miles later I got a chance to bring it back to them again. I told the service writer I want a suspension inspection and explained the symptoms. He did a walk around and said I needed new tires. The jeep has 44k miles on it now and is no longer under warranty. This is also the second set of tires I have put on the jeep and tires aren't cheep. He said their is a 70% chance the problem is the tires. I insisted he inspect the front end. I wasn't about to drop another 2g's on tires that won't last 20,000 miles. He goes in his office and hands me an estimate for 110 dollars for a visual inspection of the front end. Since that's what I make in a day, we had a polite lengthy conversation about how there was no way I was going to pay that. He did it for free. The tech closed a vice grip on the tie rod ends and found a half inch of play. Recommended repairs are to replace 4 tie rod ends and a steering stabilizer. Over 900 dollars. I'm upset. This vehicle has had rear axle seals replaced a new front axle housing installed now they want to replace tie rod ends stabilizer and ball joints. The car is 1 year old. Now to VENT! My wife is expecting our first baby. I truly feel this vehicle was unsafe and had the potential to be the cause of a traffic accident jeapordizing our safety. The whole thing just makes me sick.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

So sorry to hear. My 2012 I bought brand new and now has 32,000 completely trouble free miles.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your ball joints are probably shot at 44K.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any mods? Do you wheel a lot? 44k miles in one year is a lot.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

The only mod is a teraflex leveling kit. I take drives out to the desert and camping but no heavy rock crawling or anything. It's my Daily Driver and I have a long commute from home to work.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM
JK Junkie

How long does the lemon law still have effect? I mean you've had it to dealer 7 times in first year of owning. It might qualify. 2 cents
Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
How long does the lemon law still have effect? I mean you've had it to dealer 7 times in first year of owning. It might qualify. 2 cents
x2. I was thinking lemon law might be able to get you out of it.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 PM
JK Freak

If you can't get a lemon or any kinda buy back from Chrysler I would just get rid of it or trade. Get something reliable like a Toyota
Old 07-23-2013, 11:14 PM
JK Super Freak

X3 on lemon law.

I was in the same boat in 07. I kept taking it in for everything from roof leaks, speakers crawling, trackbar brackets snapping, engine problems, etc. I let my anger get the better of me and have been stuck with a money pit since. Spent a lot (thanks to northridge for great prices!) buying parts to feel safe enough to drive with my 3 (all under 4yrs old) kids.

Find out if it qualifies for lemon law or see of they'll trade it out. If not I'd contact Chrysler or air out the dealers name that's giving you grief.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 PM
JK Super Freak

From the CA Ag website:

A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2012 unreliable.