Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 Rubicon mystery noise

Old 10-21-2019, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Rubicon mystery noise

Hi all,

I have a stock 2013 rubicon unlimted with a manual transmission. I have roughly 150,000 km on the jeep and about 40,000 km on the new long block engine installed at the dealer.

About a month ago I started noticing a engine noise (or what sounds like a engine noise). it sounds to me like a loose chain or marbles in a can. I can mainly hear it at idle when lightly depressing on the gas pedal (1700 rpm). It seems like the noise gets louder when I take my foot off the gas pedal. I can also hear it faintly when driving, sometimes loud and sometimes quiet. Seems like it is louder when the weather is cooler outside.

The new engine has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty which expires this November 15, 2019. I brought it in to a dealership nearby to which they said that they could not hear any abnormal noise.

I recently took it to a different dodge dealership. They also could not replicate the noise(even though its obvious). When I went to pick it up, I showed the mechanic the noise and he confirmed that he could now hear it but for some reason is hesitant to look further into it.

I do have another appointment set up but I am certain that I will get told the usual " everything is okay".

I am have attached a video. Does anyone have some insight on what it may be or possibly be?

Thank You

Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

This is a 3.6 so not too familiar with them but if that noise was in the 3.8 then I would look at valve train. You need to find out what the oil pressure should be and connect a proper gauge up to where the oil pressure sender is. Measure the value with the engine hot. If pressure is low could be lifters or bearings on rods or crank. But definitely something wrong there.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 10-21-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Rubicon mystery noise