Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2013 Tailgate guide rod broke... again

Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Tailgate guide rod broke... again

I don't know the technical name for the part that broke. I am talking about the guide rod that holds the tailgate open. I know the 2013's have them and I believe the 2012s have them. The issue is that if the tailgate opens too far the rod comes out of its retaining hole. The first time it happened my wife didnt notice it happened and tried to shut it. Luckily, it was covered under warranty. This time she stopped before breaking it again. Ill take it back in to get fixed this week.

My question is, does anyone else have this issue? Also I am working up a plan for a strap to prevent the tailgate from opening too far. Has anyone done anything like that has pics? If not, ill post what I come up with.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you make some kind of strap for it post pics please. this happened to me too
Old 07-08-2013, 04:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

You are not alone. It has happened to quite a few people's JKs on the forum.

What has happened is the tail gate stops in the hinges have been damaged by letting the gate open too fast. The gate/spare tire has a lot of leverage over the hinge stops.
If you make a strap to limit the travel, it will have to be very strong, and adequately attached to be an effective stop. Once the gate approaches fully opened, it will give a tremendous pull on the strap.

Quick Reply: 2013 Tailgate guide rod broke... again