Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2014 4 door door removal n parts

Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holy_crap
A little bit of advise when taking your doors off for the first time.
  1. If you have power windows make sure the windows are down BEFORE you unplug the harness.
  2. Make sure the Jeep is on level ground or if on an incline such as a driveway, make sure the Jeep is facing UP the incline. This is so the doors don't swing open all the way and give your cowl dimples.
  3. Always have a place ready with some padded protection to put your doors down after you take them off. You want to avoid that "oh shit, now what" moment when you realize you are holding a 50 lb door with a painted edge. Putting the doors down on concrete can chip the paint off the bottom edge and promote corrosion.
But the dimples are cute

sent from the bottom of a water hold and didnt lock the motor
Old 07-10-2014, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 2014 4 door door removal n parts

I would have never thought, but apparently it is a beverage to some http://m.ibtimes.co.uk/neknominate-m...g-game-1434916
But anyways, WD40 doesn't work well as a lubricant. It's main purpose is to displace water, hence the WD (water displacement)... It will lubricate temporarily until it dries, which is the reason why many people spray it on the stuck hinges prior to taking it off, which works well, but don't use it to lubricate the hinges before you put them back in. I use white lithium grease because that's what I have a lot of laying around but I've also read that silicone lubricants are good too. The stock bushings are metal covered in plastic that gets torn apart fairly quick, so the delrin inserts would be a good upgrade for the future to prevent the metal-on-metal contact in the hinges. But for now, since you have a 2014 JKU, I'm sure your bushings are still nice and clean, so just use some lubricant on the hinges to put them back in. Also, a door cart is really useful, I used tsamptrail's measurements and parts list which can be found in this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...cart-237776/#b , and then I zip-tied (really strong especially since I used 12 zip ties lol) the PVC to some 2x4s and put some casters of the bottom. It's very handy for transport and storage. Be careful with the dogs though! I know mine likes crawling all around and in the trunk, but I know most dogs aren't like that haha. Sorry I kinda over-did my answer but just trying to help everyone out here! Everything I mentioned works really well for me, besides the delrin bushings since my jeep is still fairly new and the bushings do well with white lithium grease for now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by alects; 07-10-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I read that about the guy drinking wd 40. Video didn't work for me. Did he die?

I have used wd 40 to remove the hinges like you say. I also found that anti seize works well as a lube but slightly messy.

Where do you find the delrin bushings.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Somehow, he is still alive.... not exactly sure how, but here is the link to the bushings, I also saw a thread where someone was taking a round stock of delrin and making his own, I never saw the result though since i lost the page :( but anti-sieze would work for preventing them to sieze, but I don't think the chemicals have any lasting lubricating effect http://www.blackmagicbrakes.com/site...Co-Op.php#2647
Here's that guy drinking WD40
http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=7c3_1391347096

Last edited by alects; 07-10-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow!

Cant imagine what damage that would do to someone's insides.

Thanks for the links.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

I use liquid wrench silicon spray... As a hinge lubricant not a beverage. It does well on my plastic bushings. Used on all my jeeps have never had to replace one.

Last edited by PAShadowJK11; 07-11-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

WD40 is mostly fish oil.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tomsryt
WD40 is mostly fish oil.
Fish oil in WD40 apparently is just a myth

Screenshot from wd40.com

Old 07-11-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alerts is right, I'll own it when I'm wrong.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believed it at first but then I smelt something fishy lol

Quick Reply: 2014 4 door door removal n parts