Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2014 JK Soft Top - Front sides flapping (near door surrounds) - suggestions?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 JK Soft Top - Front sides flapping (near door surrounds) - suggestions?

Hello JK Forum world.

Just bought a 2014 Wrangler Sport Soft Top a couple days ago. I'm in love with it. One little quirk however...

At highway speeds (50mph +) the sides of the soft top, just behind the driver and passenger side doors start to come loose and fold back. This creates about two inch wide opening and air fills the rear like a cavity, creating a parachute affect. It's not terrible, but I know when it starts raining (if it ever rains in LA), water will come shooting right in. I've spend some time on this forum and few others, and I fully realize that air leaks, water leaks, zipper issues, flapping and other anomalies come with "soft top" territory. That being said, I want to do everything I can to avoid chasing things like this.

I'm hoping I'm explaining the issue clearly enough - it looks as though the tabs that fit into the door surrounds are not held in place tightly enough, so when a gust hits it, it creates an opening and peels away from the body. Is there a way to better secure the tabs in the door surrounds? The Jeep is still under warranty, so I could take it in, but I'm wondering if the Jeep community can answer this one. Seems like a simple fix.

Please and thank you!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to ask, but are you sure you're wrapping the tabs around far enough the surround? The rails on the front of the windows actually wrap all the way around the door surround, so that the edge is actually facing the rear of the car (not just pushed in from the side). I have a 2014 with a soft top and don't have this issue.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7kings
I hate to ask, but are you sure you're wrapping the tabs around far enough the surround? The rails on the front of the windows actually wrap all the way around the door surround, so that the edge is actually facing the rear of the car (not just pushed in from the side). I have a 2014 with a soft top and don't have this issue.
What he said. This is probably the issue and one that took me a couple weeks to figure out as well. You need to wrap it all the way around . Do this before zipping the window completely and before clamping the top down.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

^ Agree with everyone above. I had mine installed wrong for a least a week or two. It was TIGHT at first, but got easier over time. Don't beat yourself up, we all did it!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup agreeing with everyone else.
Dont worry I did it too for about a month till another jeeper parked right next to me and told me how to properly do it
Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same Problem Here

Hi Guys-
I am having the exact same problem on my 4 door JK. It seems to only insert, not wrap? Then it always flaps. It is maddening. I drive down the road and see others and they look well sealed.
Can anyone snap a pic of propper installation?
Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't have a picture, but what you should do is take the plastic L shaped part on the front edge of the window, and rotate it 90 degrees to face the back of the Jeep. Then insert it in the slot on the plastic door surround. That will let it fit properly and keep the windows nice and snug.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
I don't have a picture, but what you should do is take the plastic L shaped part on the front edge of the window, and rotate it 90 degrees to face the back of the Jeep. Then insert it in the slot on the plastic door surround. That will let it fit properly and keep the windows nice and snug.
Thanks guys! I was doing it wrong!
Old 04-23-2016, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for info!!

Thanks for posting this up about securing the correct way!! I just picked up a 2010 JK Unlimited and after taking the top down the first time was struggling with the front sides flapping.....

Much Thanks,,,,
Old 04-30-2016, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL - even old threads can come in handy.

Quick Reply: 2014 JK Soft Top - Front sides flapping (near door surrounds) - suggestions?