Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 Jeep JKU Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Change?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Jeep JKU Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Change?

With my 2015 JKU hitting 80000 miles recently, I realized I have put off the transmission (Automatic) service that I put on my to-do list at 60,000 miles. I have heard many jeepers tell me to avoid changing the transmission fluid and filter because of transmission issue popping up soon after. Looking for advise and/or experiences.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Your owner's manual recommends automatic transmission fluid/filter change at 120,000 miles for non-severe service. (Too long, in my opinion.)

Nothing wrong with a fluid/filter change at the mileage you have.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-08-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

If it's done properly there is nothing to worry about. 60-80k is how I handle it. It makes a big difference when I got it done the first time. Make sure they change the filter.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by dotnetrob
I have heard many jeepers tell me to avoid changing the transmission fluid and filter because of transmission issue popping up soon after..
Are you maybe referring to flushing the fluid vs. just a drain/refill with new filter? You should have no issues draining, replacing your filter, and refilling; HOWEVER, when I say "no issues", I don't mean it's a fun stroll in the park.

I can't recommend enough, buy a pan with a drain plug in it, or install a plug in your factory pan!

Last edited by resharp001; 10-09-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Circling back around on this one with a couple tips.

1) using a mittyvac to suck as much out as possible through the dipstick tube is highly beneficial. If you do not, plan on making a nice mess trying to do a controlled spill when you crack the pan lose and drop it.

2) the rear bolts on the pan are a pain to access, and your exhaust cross over is going to be in the way. My exhaust is re-routed, so not even there, and it was STILL a pain in the butt. You'll need a torx nut and a nut driver to access them most likely. There is not enough clearance to use a torx sorx bit. Also, since the exhaust will be in the way, it will make doing a controlled spill very difficult, see #1.

3) if you do not have a mittyvac, and choose not to buy one, then do yourself a favor and either buy a new pan with a drain plug or tap your pan while it's off so you don't have to make a mess next time. I'll be buying a mittyvac at my next change.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure when you refill you put in exactly what came out- I just did mine and had a bit of a panic after the first proper heat cycle. Finished a day of wheeling to find the side of the Trans covered in atf. I must have barely over filled it, just enough to have it weep out and make me a touch nervous.

Quick Reply: 2015 Jeep JKU Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Change?