Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2015 JK Fuel guage dropped to empty

Old 10-19-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2015 JK Fuel guage dropped to empty

While i was driving home from work last night my fuel guage dropped from 1/4 tank (70m DTE) to empty in the matter of 10 seconds. I pulled into a gas station and topped it off, reset my trip odometer and drove home. It stayed on empty.

I looked for leaks on the ground, none. Checked the fuse, was good. Did the guage cluster Actuator test, fuel guage tested properly. Even plugged it into three different code readers at the autoparts store with no codes thrown (Even said the fuel system was OK).

I am curious if there are any other tests that i can run to help dignose the problem short of pulling the fuel tank.

It is acting like the fuel float is malfunctioning. For now i am just going to fuel up everytime i get to 150miles on the trip odometer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

Last edited by Chapman62083; 10-19-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your 2015 should still be under factory warranty; it's time to bring the Jeep in for service.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Your 2015 should still be under factory warranty; it's time to bring the Jeep in for service.
I totally agree. I'd never consider pulling a fuel tank to diagnose a problem that almost certainly is covered under warranty. I've been following this forum for almost 5 years. I've seen lots of problems discussed but I can't recall issues with the fuel gage on a newer Jeep. The only other thing I would consider would be to pull the negative terminal off the battery for 10 minutes then reconnect. Probably won't solve the problem but may be worth the try in case it's some computer glitch.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Working Now?

When i got in and started it up this morning, it was working properly. Guess i will wait until it goes down again.

Quick Reply: 2015 JK Fuel guage dropped to empty