Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2015 jkus coolant leak mystery.... HELP

Old 06-22-2016, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 jkus coolant leak mystery.... HELP

For past few months more like a year, i get out of jeep and smell coolant. Every so often I check the coolant and it slowly going down until finally its empty. Takes a few months but the level definately goes down. No drip, no stains, no evidence. Just a lovely coolant fragrance. Took it to 3 dealers in past 7 months. 2 of 3 claim there's no leak. They did the pressure test, retest, let it run, etc etc the whole nine yards supposedly and nothing........ 1 of 3 found leak during OIL CHANGE then even topped it off after i intentionally left it EMPTY a month ago. Doing my research, i see this seems to be a common problem with our wranglers. also My jeep has 150 miles left on warranty now so these guys are now jerking me around i feel.

Has anyone in here had this coolant issue???

because if my beloved 1st jeep explodes (exaggerating) due to this, there will be war until my entire neighborhood has a jk in the driveway......
Old 06-22-2016, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I haven't had this problem but read there have been known water pump issues and that would be my 1st guess of where to start looking for a slow leak.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2014 has a similar issue. I smell coolant, but there are no obvious leaks and I haven't noticed the level go down. I've taken it to the dealership two or three times in the past year, but they've found nothing.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flexy
My 2014 has a similar issue. I smell coolant, but there are no obvious leaks and I haven't noticed the level go down. I've taken it to the dealership two or three times in the past year, but they've found nothing.
My 2014 also has exact issue. I can not see anything wrong and im not losing fluid. The rad overflow bottle doesnt have a great seal. I am leaning towards after shutting off engine maybe the backpressure pushing into res bottle is venting vapors (smell) out of the cheap cap and can smell the vapors. With no loss of fluids and nothing showing im thinking its just the vent from res bottle.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flexy
Add me to the same list. 2014 also and the dealer has pressure checked everything and found nothing. And no obvious loss of fluid.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:42 AM
JK Newbie

Same thing on my 2013. Dealer ended up dropping a new radiator and all was solved. No more coolant loss or smell.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

I don't know if you have done this, but try a new radiator cap. I had the same issue on my 2008 and the purchase of a new cap has solved it for me.
Good luck.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:14 AM
DJ1
Former Member

lots of coolant issues popping up all of a sudden. Several threads on this already within the last month.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:43 PM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Just from personal experience, check your intake manifold gaskets. It will leak there just a little bit at a time if the gasket is even a little flawed (why it can effect new Jeeps as well) then it will evaporate off of the block so you can't source it directly. I have an 07 but I experienced this issue and many more due to a bad intake manifold gasket.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

The wife and I both had 2014 JKU's with the same problem, After weeks of checking under the hood ever time we got home with a flashlight, I finally was able to catch the leak, apparently it is the side tanks on the radiator, long story short, Both 2014's got new radiators, and solved the problem. Then I traded my 2014 for a new 2015 Willy's... Yes at about 15k same problem, took weeks to catch the leak in the act, again side tanks leaking, was able to get pictures, but the leak would dry up quickly and leave a very faint pink stain on the black plastic. Again the dealership replaced the radiator on the 2015. I am at 30k, and the leak has not come back. At the moment, my wife has a 2016 Back Country that only has about 5k on it and so far no radiator leak yet.

Quick Reply: 2015 jkus coolant leak mystery.... HELP