JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   2015 Rubicon disabled in the boonies--need help! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/2015-rubicon-disabled-boonies-need-help-323925/)

702Rubi 07-13-2015 06:16 AM

2015 Rubicon disabled in the boonies--need help!

Yesterday morning, I drove up into the mountains here in Colorado and parked so I could go for a hike.

When I left the vehicle, I locked the doors as usual using the lock button on the key. (This is a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited with the factory security system).

When I returned, I tried to unlock the doors as usual using the unlock button on the key. However, nothing happened, the doors wouldn't unlock.

So I unlocked the driver's door using the old-fashioned key. This of course triggered the alarm (horns beeping, lights flashing).

I stuck the key in the ignition and tried to start the vehicle, but could not. Alarm just kept going off.

I tried pushing the unlock button a lot more times and that didn't help. Neither did the panic button. I then dug out the second key and tried everything with that, no joy. Alarm just kept going off and the vehicle wouldn't start.

It seems the horns (yes, we found there are two of them) will stop beeping after a time. But the alarm system never deactivates, so the lights keep blinking and if you keep fooling around the horns will start tooting again.

The only way to make it stop is to disconnect the battery. We left it disconnected for nearly two hours, but as soon as we touched the terminal to the post the alarm started going off again.

Does anyone know of any reset procedure or anything that can be done in the boonies to get this vehicle started and out under its own power? Or have other ideas they are confident will work? I am now down in town. Getting back up to the vehicle will be a bit of a challenge, I will have to find a local who is willing to drive me up there. So I'm not going to do that unless someone is very confident they have a fix.

Otherwise I am looking at a sizeable recovery bill. I am in Colorado, don't have four-wheeling friends here, and will have to pay for a towing service to come recover it.

planman 07-13-2015 06:38 AM

In your owner's manual, there should be a section on resetting the security system.

Also, you could open your fuse box underneath your hood and pull the fuse for the security system, wait a few minutes, then reinstall it.

A similar thing happened with my wife's 08 JKUR. Pulling the fuse, waiting a few minutes, then reinstalling it fixed the problem.

Sometimes this type of thing is caused either a car battery getting drained too low. Sometimes it happens when the wrong key is placed in the ignition.

There may be a reset procedure on 12+ JKs that involves inserting the key in the ignition, turning it to on (but not start), and the turning it off a few times with a sequence of 2 or 3 times. I do not know exactly that sequence, but a dealer might, or it might be in your owners manual.

702Rubi 07-13-2015 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by planman (Post 4121476)
In your owner's manual, there should be a section on resetting the security system.

Also, you could open your fuse box underneath your hood and pull the fuse for the security system, wait a few minutes, then reinstall it.

A similar thing happened with my wife's 08 JKUR. Pulling the fuse, waiting a few minutes, then reinstalling it fixed the problem.

Sometimes this type of thing is caused either a car battery getting drained too low. Sometimes it happens when the wrong key is placed in the ignition.

There may be a reset procedure on 12+ JKs that involves inserting the key in the ignition, turning it to on (but not start), and the turning it off a few times with a sequence of 2 or 3 times. I do not know exactly that sequence, but a dealer might, or it might be in your owners manual.

I have the full manual downloaded on my computer. There is nothing I can see in there that describes a reset procedure. It says "to disarm the vehicle security alarm, you will need to push the "unlock" button on the RKE transmitter , or turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position." None of those steps are working in my case. It seems the vehicle is suddenly not receiving or "recognizing" the key/RKE transmitters.

We heard from a non-professional mechanic about the reset procedure involving turning the key to "on" and back off three times, then turning it to "on" and pressing the brake pedal. We fooled around with many variations on this, nothing happened.

I wondered about the battery. But it is the stock battery and the same age as the vehicle. I drove continuosly for 3+ hours prior to parking. So it certainly shouldn't be low but I didn't have a multimeter to check it.

We did try pulling all fuses that seemed remotely relevant, but didn't necessarily leave it out as long as you suggested. However, as noted the battery was disconnected for a couple of hours, shouldn't that have helped?

702Rubi 07-13-2015 07:39 AM

I finally got through to the Jeep service advisor at the nearest dealer (in Silverthorne, CO).

I fully explained what happened and he is fairly certain it is a bad (or at least low) battery.

When I explained the difficulties of getting back to the vehicle and trying anything, he said he was so confident the battery is the problem that it would be worth the trouble. And certainly worth trying before paying for a recovery.

So I'm trying to line up a ride (and buy a multi-meter, one thing my tool kit lacks) to get back up there.

There are some folks with an ATV who are camped below the tough part of that road. They told me yesterday they could run me up the trail if I need to reach the vehicle. So that's very helpful, but obviously I'm limited on what I can take up with me while riding the back of an ATV.

I do have a Jump-n-Carry in the Jeep but not sure how to use that to help. Just reconnect the battery, hook up the Jump-n-Carry, and see if the jeep will start?

Or could we disconnect the battery, then hook the Jump-n-Carry to it for awhile in hopes it would bring up the voltage? Any other suggestions for recharging the battery if the only other vehicle available is an ATV?

I still wonder if the battery IS low, and if we get it recharged (or end up replacing it out there), if that will be enough to reset/shut off the security system...

If it turns out to be the battery and I do get it going, obviously I am driving it straight to the dealer for a full diagnosis. Note this vehicle only has 5200 miles on it...

AlexUnlimited 07-13-2015 09:17 AM

I've had the same problem with my jku! Won't unlock with the button so I use the key and the alarm goes off. Only way I've gotten it to stop is start my jeep with the right key. I replaced my battery with a blue top dry cell and replaced the battery in my key. Still does it every now and then, I've gotten to the point I just lock it with the door button and don't even use the key. Hope you find a fix it might be my problem as well. If I were closer I'd drive up and help you get it down! Good luck!

702Rubi 07-13-2015 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by AlexUnlimited (Post 4121534)
I've had the same problem with my jku! Won't unlock with the button so I use the key and the alarm goes off. Only way I've gotten it to stop is start my jeep with the right key. I replaced my battery with a blue top dry cell and replaced the battery in my key. Still does it every now and then, I've gotten to the point I just lock it with the door button and don't even use the key. Hope you find a fix it might be my problem as well. If I were closer I'd drive up and help you get it down! Good luck!

What do you mean by "start it with the right key"? I have both keys that came with the vehicle. I can't start it with either of them. And the vehicle seems to be completely ignoring both keys as far as the lock and unlock buttons go.

While in the future I definitely won't be using the remote (key push buttons) to lock the door in the boonies, I do want to be able to do that and set the alarm in other circumstances. And I should be confident I can unlock it and disarm the security system every time, not just some of the time!

702Rubi 07-13-2015 05:16 PM

Back in town after spending several hours with the jeep (and battling with the crummy wi fi here).

The voltage on the battery was good, but we went ahead and plugged in a known good battery borrowed from the folks camping in the area (who were helping me out with their ATV). The problem remains the same: the security system is armed and we can't find any way to disarm it.

With the battery connected, if I get in and close the doors and wait for the alarm to stop going off (lights stop flashing; we unplugged the horns to spare our ears), the red light on the dashboard continues to flash slowly, indicating that the security system is armed.

At that point, several times, I've tried pressing the unlock button on the keys, but that did not disarm the security system. If I put a key in the ignition and try to start the jeep, the alarm will start going off again and of course the engine won't start.

At this point, it appears that even if a battery problem caused this situation, there's nothing we can do in the field to disarm the security system and therefore get the vehicle running.

If anyone DOES know of any reset procedures that haven't already been tried, please share. But at this point, a tow job seems inevitable.

ScorpionJK 07-13-2015 05:26 PM

The only time I've experienced an issue like this it was on my '08 Adrenalin Sport Trac - changing the battery on the remote was all that was required to fix it. Reminds me to add a spare battery to my small tool kit in the Jeep.

I hope its that simple for you as it sounds like you've tried everything else you can do in the field.

As as with others, if I were anywhere close I'd help you get it down.

PG-JKU 07-13-2015 05:27 PM

I had this happen on my 07. I needed to reset the wireless control module WCM fuse see this youtube link for location.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-0HQ7B6mPvs

Good luck

702Rubi 07-13-2015 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ScorpionJK (Post 4121723)
The only time I've experienced an issue like this it was on my '08 Adrenalin Sport Trac - changing the battery on the remote was all that was required to fix it. Reminds me to add a spare battery to my small tool kit in the Jeep.

I hope its that simple for you as it sounds like you've tried everything else you can do in the field.

It seems extremely unlikely BOTH keys (or their batteries) would go bad at the same time. One is used regularly; the other is usually tucked away at home but I had it in the vehicle for this extended trip. I've noticed no decline in the range of the one used daily, and in the past I've usually seen that when the little battery is dying.

With everything else going on, I forgot to pick up some new batteries for them. Since you reminded me, tomorrow morning I'll see if I can round up a couple batteries before I head back up.

702Rubi 07-13-2015 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by PG-JKU (Post 4121724)
I had this happen on my 07. I needed to reset the wireless control module WCM fuse see this youtube link for location.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-0HQ7B6mPvs

Good luck

Wouldn't disconnecting the battery multiple times (including overnight) accomplish as much as pulling a fuse for 30 seconds? I'm not an expert on electricity or electronics, so I could be missing something.

In addition, we also have pulled fuses. Today we tried to pull anything that sounded like it might be remotely connected with the security system. I think this one was one of them.

I'd be curious to know what led up to your symptoms. Like me, did you lock the vehicle with the "lock" button on the key (thus setting the alarm)...then find you were unable to UNLOCK the doors by pushing the "unlock" button?

PG-JKU 07-13-2015 07:36 PM

Yeah I had swapped the key fob battery also when mine died but it didn't start until I pulled the WCM fuse. It's an incredibly poor design that the keyless entry and security system can render a vehicle useless, especially something like a jeep that, like you, can be in the middle of nowhere at any given time.

I was thankful mine happened in town. I sincerely wish you the best of luck when you get back to your jeep.

PG-JKU 07-13-2015 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 702Rubi (Post 4121804)
Wouldn't disconnecting the battery multiple times (including overnight) accomplish as much as pulling a fuse for 30 seconds? I'm not an expert on electricity or electronics, so I could be missing something.

In addition, we also have pulled fuses. Today we tried to pull anything that sounded like it might be remotely connected with the security system. I think this one was one of them.

I'd be curious to know what led up to your symptoms. Like me, did you lock the vehicle with the "lock" button on the key (thus setting the alarm)...then find you were unable to UNLOCK the doors by pushing the "unlock" button?

Yeah i tried disconnecting the battery over and over again - I think the WCM has some kind of capacitor or something that keeps it charged up. I had locked the vehicle, went to visit friends, came back and there was no response to the key fob. I then used the key to open the door and the alarm went nuts of course. The only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery. I then tried over and over connecting and disconnecting the battery but the vehicle would not start. That's when I thought it was the key fob battery. I got a ride from my wife to the store to grab a new battery, but nothing happened. Looking online in desperation (again, lucky I was in town) I found the Youtube video where the guy described the same symptoms, including the flashing security light when trying to start it. I pulled the fuse, and the stupid jeep worked. I hope it's that easy for you also.

Apparently there are problems with some of the WCM's that can cause this. There is supposedly a tech bulletin covering this but it's for the older jeeps, but I guess you would be willing to try anything at this point.

Cheers

702Rubi 07-13-2015 08:12 PM

OK, someone else I talked to floated another idea.

If I understood correctly, he suggests running power directly to the starter. I.e., by running a jumper wire directly from the positive battery terminal.

As things stand, when you turn the key to the start position, all the usual dashboard lights come on, and you can hear the fuel pump activate as well as things activating in the engine compartment. So it seems the ignition system is activated, but the starter is not.

Though I'm sure I can locate the starter, I'm not so confident I understand where he means for me to apply the 12 VDC.

Anyone have any thoughts about this idea? He thinks it would allow the vehicle to be started and driven even though the alarm system is activated.

BTW, the more I read the manual, the stranger my problem seems to be. In particular, the manual doesn't say that starter deactivation a part of alarm activation. But I'm definitely experiencing starter deactivation! The Sentry Key system does have an "engine immobilizer," but according to the manual, it will shut down the engine if an unauthorized key is used; it doesn't totally prevent starting.

702Rubi 07-13-2015 08:21 PM

PG-JKU...I just checked the fuse list in the manual. For my jeep, it states fuse M13 covers, among other things, the WCM. I do know that fuse was pulled today, not sure exactly how long though.

At this point, probably the only way I'll be back up there at the jeep is with the tow truck tomorrow. But I guess as soon as I get there I could pull this fuse for a minute or so and see if a miracle occurs. Thanks.

PG-JKU 07-13-2015 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by 702Rubi (Post 4121831)
PG-JKU...I just checked the fuse list in the manual. For my jeep, it states fuse M13 covers, among other things, the WCM. I do know that fuse was pulled today, not sure exactly how long though.

At this point, probably the only way I'll be back up there at the jeep is with the tow truck tomorrow. But I guess as soon as I get there I could pull this fuse for a minute or so and see if a miracle occurs. Thanks.

Fingers crossed and hoping for a miracle then. Let us know how it goes!

Chefbrujo 07-13-2015 08:25 PM

I had someone start mine when my keyfob was dead. Unplug the alarm fuse (sorry dont know off the top of my head exactly which one)
Then he hooked up a battery and cables to my battery and started it like a regular jump start. It worked.

702Rubi 07-13-2015 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo (Post 4121833)
I had someone start mine when my keyfob was dead. Unplug the alarm fuse (sorry dont know off the top of my head exactly which one)
Then he hooked up a battery and cables to my battery and started it like a regular jump start. It worked.

Maybe it was the same fuse PG-JKU and I were talking about. In the manual's fuse list, there is nothing that says "alarm" or "security system." We basically just picked any fuses that we couldn't easily rule out (lamps, wipers, etc.) and pulled them.

RoysRig 07-13-2015 09:35 PM

What trail is your Jeep stuck on?

silverbullet85 07-14-2015 02:12 AM

I'm curious, if you're under warranty, won't jeep tow it to the nearest dealer if your having a problem.

silverbullet85 07-14-2015 02:13 AM

I know in my warranty book there is an 800 number to call and if I have a problem with it while it's still covered they will tow it for free.

702Rubi 07-14-2015 04:15 AM

The vehicle is up in Mosquito Gulch. Access is via the Mosquito Pass Road, aka Park Co. Road 12, from CO state highway 9. Are you nearby, RoysRig?

As for Chrysler Roadside Assistance, they will not pay for an "offroad recovery." They will pay for the part between the nearest dealer and the point where the vehicle reaches the edge of the pavement. Just like pretty much any roadside assistance plan.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with them Sunday night. In part because when I first called and explained the situation, the woman I talked to stated they would cover the full cost of the tow. And then, contrary to my instructions, dispatched a local towing company in the middle of the night to the road I named. I was in bed in my motel in a nearby town and started getting calls, including from the driver who apparently was dispatched with a big roll-back. The towing company was not even informed that the vehicle was up a jeep trail and that a 4WD recovery vehicle would be required. And certainly weren't told not to do anything without first talking to me (as I instructed the Roadside Assistance woman).

RoysRig 07-14-2015 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by 702Rubi (Post 4121894)
The vehicle is up in Mosquito Gulch. Access is via the Mosquito Pass Road, aka Park Co. Road 12, from CO state highway 9. Are you nearby, RoysRig?

As for Chrysler Roadside Assistance, they will not pay for an "offroad recovery." They will pay for the part between the nearest dealer and the point where the vehicle reaches the edge of the pavement. Just like pretty much any roadside assistance plan.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with them Sunday night. In part because when I first called and explained the situation, the woman I talked to stated they would cover the full cost of the tow. And then, contrary to my instructions, dispatched a local towing company in the middle of the night to the road I named. I was in bed in my motel in a nearby town and started getting calls, including from the driver who apparently was dispatched with a big roll-back. The towing company was not even informed that the vehicle was up a jeep trail and that a 4WD recovery vehicle would be required. And certainly weren't told not to do anything without first talking to me (as I instructed the Roadside Assistance woman).

No sorry. I was hoping you were closer to Georgetown. I would have loved to help out, but between some how damaging my elbow last night working on the fenders and not having much movement in my right arm this morning and having the Jeep still in pieces, I don't think I will be able to me much help today. Sorry.

RoysRig 07-14-2015 05:47 AM

There is a facebook group called Colorado4x4 recovery and they live for this type thing. You might want to hop on there and give some details about your situation.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Colorado4x4recovery/

702Rubi 07-14-2015 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by RoysRig (Post 4121918)
There is a facebook group called Colorado4x4 recovery and they live for this type thing. You might want to hop on there and give some details about your situation.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Colorado4x4recovery/

I'm not on FB so I can't even look at their page.

Can you provide me a direct contact number for someone in that group? I emailed my phone number to you (I'll PM it too). Thanks.

RoysRig 07-14-2015 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by 702Rubi (Post 4121924)
I'm not on FB so I can't even look at their page.

Can you provide me a direct contact number for someone in that group? I emailed my phone number to you (I'll PM it too). Thanks.

I've thrown your situation and your contact info up on FB/recovery. Good luck, and if I get any messages back I will forward them to you.

RoysRig 07-14-2015 06:14 AM

And keep me updated on your situation so I can keep the FB group updated. :thumbsup:

planman 07-14-2015 06:19 AM

That fuse mentioned earlier was the issue with my wife's 08 JKUR.

An internal light had been left on for a long time while the jeep sat. It drained the battery. The symptoms were essentially the same you describe. I found a thread either here or on another forum where someone mentioned disconnecting the battery and pulling that fuse, then waiting something like 5-10 minutes. Then, reinstall everything and jumpstart the jeep. That fixed it, and it never happened again.

In addition to the Facebook page, there is a forum in Colorado at www.colorado4x4.org.

RoysRig 07-14-2015 07:07 AM

Just an update, Your info is being shared around on FB. One person gave me this info....

"The recovery request to a member of ours that lives in Fairplay. Haven't heard back yet. Ski Country Shell in Frisco does off road recovery and tows. The Lewark's (owners ) are members of South Park 4x4 Club"

"970-668-3093 is the number for Ski Country. I'll call Scott at Specialized and see if he has anyone that can go"

RoysRig 07-14-2015 07:11 AM

Someone is about to call you.

20jk08 07-14-2015 07:46 AM

Re:

Hm, unless both your keys have become unprogrammed to your jeep, you should be able to start it with the alarm going off and starting it disables the alarm, via the chipped key..
I just had an issue where one of my key fobs stopped working. I entered the jeep with the alarm blaring, put the key in the ignition, started it. Since then, the key fob now works like it should..
Try again with the key...
Dumb question, is your hood closed when your trying to start it... there is an alarm switch there..
Good luck

702Rubi 07-14-2015 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 20jk08 (Post 4121966)
Hm, unless both your keys have become unprogrammed to your jeep, you should be able to start it with the alarm going off and starting it disables the alarm, via the chipped key..
I just had an issue where one of my key fobs stopped working. I entered the jeep with the alarm blaring, put the key in the ignition, started it. Since then, the key fob now works like it should..
Try again with the key...
Dumb question, is your hood closed when your trying to start it... there is an alarm switch there..
Good luck

Is the hood hooked in with the security alarm? Have you actually triggered the stock alarm system by opening the hood? The manual doesn't mention it but I'm unsure if the manual is correct about everything.

Yes, I SHOULD be able to start it with the Sentry Key even while the alarm is activated, but I can't.

While we were dragging it down the trail this afternoon, of course all the doors and the hood were closed but the alarm was going off the whole time (lights flashing...we disconnected the horns).

702Rubi 07-14-2015 06:15 PM

As for the magic fuse, when we got up to the jeep today I pulled it for about a minute then reinstalled it. No luck, everything was still the same.

We did successfully drag it down the trail with no apparent damage, got it loaded on the flatbed and trucked it to the dealer in Silverthorne. We'll see what they find.

To be honest, I think I would have been better off having some of the local jeepers help me out! Would have cost less. Though to be honest, they did help me out by flatbedding the 4WD recovery truck (an old Blazer!) several miles up the easier dirt to the base of the jeep trail. So I only paid for the part where that vehicle was used, which took two hours.

On the other hand, despite the numerous calls I made to them over the preceding days, discussing in detail what would be required, this morning a single flatbed showed up in Fairplay. No 4WD recovery vehicle on board as I expected. So the company had to dispatch another flatbed with the Blazer on board. Which of course further delayed the whole operation. Despite all this we lucked out with the weather; it didn't start raining until we were getting the Blazer and my jeep loaded onto the flatbeds.

Since I plan to be out here in CO through September, I hope to get contact info (i.e., a phone number) for more persons who like to help out on these recoveries. Who knows, I may need help again...

PG-JKU 07-14-2015 06:31 PM

Thanks for the update. Look forward to knowing the reason!

RoysRig 07-14-2015 06:40 PM

Hey man glad you got it out. There were a lot of people asking on FB how it was going, unfortunately some recovery crew jumped on it and said they had it handled and everyone backed down at that point.

I wish I could have come and helped out myself but just wasn't physically able today. And with it being the beginning of the week most people were at work.

So anyway next time jump on FB and see if there is going to be anyone else in the area too that can have your back should something go wrong again.

702Rubi 07-15-2015 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by RoysRig (Post 4122206)
Hey man glad you got it out. There were a lot of people asking on FB how it was going, unfortunately some recovery crew jumped on it and said they had it handled and everyone backed down at that point.

I wish I could have come and helped out myself but just wasn't physically able today. And with it being the beginning of the week most people were at work.

So anyway next time jump on FB and see if there is going to be anyone else in the area too that can have your back should something go wrong again.

Sounds easy enough, but if I'm in the boonies and have no cell service, let alone internet access, an FB page doesn't help me!

On the other hand, with a few names and numbers, I have a satellite phone and could call from anyplace. I saved a couple numbers from people who contacted me but would love to have more...like more members of the "recovery crew" you mentioned.

Sorry, I'm really not interested in getting on FB solely for this; as I pointed out, that FB page won't help me if I'm off the grid.

Since my contact info was put up on FB, I'd still be happy to hear from anyone who's willing to let me have their direct contact info. Then if I need help again, hopefully I could make arrangements with some jeepers who would do a better job and charge me less!!!

07 Rescue Green 07-15-2015 03:03 PM

Make sure you tell us what you find out!

fishernoiter 07-15-2015 03:35 PM

I'm watching this too. Had similar experiences this spring on my '14 Rubi Unlimited. Lucky for me the alarm did not disable the engine start. I just thought the jeep didn't like the snow...CA model😳

ScorpionJK 07-15-2015 05:21 PM

Glad to hear you got it down the hill and to the dealership.

Watching with interest for updates on what the problem turns out to be and what the fix is. We regularly trek up the local mountains on our own, similar situation...no cell signal and a bit far off the beaten path for Chrysler recovery.

702Rubi 07-15-2015 08:52 PM

Just thought of something that didn't occur to me in the heat of the moment. I have a code reader...wish I'd thought to plug it in and see if there were any codes showing up.

I'm sure the dealer will check them, just hope they accurately document any codes they find.

If they don't call me first, I'll be calling them in the morning. Hope they have figured something out, I'd like to get back on the road (and out of this hotel!).