Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.6 long block interchange

Old 12-10-2021, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3.6 long block interchange

I know the 3.6 has been around for a while. I have run into a issue where I want to replace the engine that is in a 2013 JK. Finding at wrecking yards that the JK engine stands for $$$$$$$$ where as a dodge caravan, charger, durango or the many other vehicles that use this engine with far fewer miles is just $.. Researching as best that I could to find that Pentastar would not make a special casting just for each variation of the 3.6 platform they used this engine in. I have read multiple post on other sites that say the engine is the same across the board bearing just the long block. I understand that some accessories need to be swap over from the jeep engine and that is not the issue.

My question and maybe for future reference for others in the same boat, is there any issue with using a caravan, charger, dodge, or jeep grand cherokee 3.6 engine? Noting I will be swapping over any pan or cover that is different. I have done this in the past with the 2.4 where most said the jeep block was different than the caravan 2.4. I found them to be the same other than a small issues. But this is dealing with the 3.6 only. I am avoiding the 2013 and older engines to get away from the head issues(yes they could have been repaired, but easier to avoid in my search).
I found a couple a 16 model low mile van engines but have not inspected them to do some measurements.

This is my first post on here and I have cross posted it on another site, but I have not received an answer and figure a more vehicle specific site might have the answer. Also I love working on stuff on the cheap. If there is a way to do something the right way and cheap, thats me.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I found another site that had the info readily available. And yes they are all the same up to 2018.. So Hope this saves someone a lot of money if they need another engine.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

Welcome to JKF.. in checking some sources on the JKs 3.6L the 2012/2013 Mopar Reman Long Block is 1 # different in the PN than the 2014/2017 PN. Both are the same list price from MOPAR. I'd guess that the difference might be associated with emissions requirements.
Check companies that sell reman engines/poweretrain on line and look at their applications for all the vehicles with 3.6L. You are probably right on need to change the oil pan and maybe some other tin.. Remember the Caravan is FWD so that one will have differences. Good Luck and post up what you did; it might help someone else.

Quick Reply: 3.6 long block interchange