Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.6l thermostat

Old 01-10-2024, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3.6l thermostat

I'm replacing my thermostat because I had an overheating issue. Tested it by going from a fairly cold start up to running temps and tstat never opened. I picked an OEM one up from the dealer which ended up being $100 somehow. I've also got a Dorman one coming in tomorrow that's about 1/4 the price. Is it worth the money to use the OEM one or return it and use the Dorman? I last replaced it over the summer and I don't remember what I got, but it was most likely whatever I could get the fastest from the auto parts store. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts

I also had to change out my worn out thermostat and housing . Went with a Dorman unit and the fit and quality were same as OEM. No issues with this installation so far. Just to be sure, I also changed upper and lower radiator hoses, added new coolant and installed a new Mopar temp. sensor. So the only things left in the system is the radiator and waterpump.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Typically, I like to stay factory with the thermostat, but that is a pretty redonk price, and since the thermostat is a super simple swap on these things I'd save the money and go dorman. Maybe it would be worth it to have an extra dorman unit on hand as a backup JUUUSSST in case of an emergency failure, but that is probably overkill.
The following users liked this post:
14KaratJK (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts

On my OEM thermostat, the spring some how shifted over and started wearing into the support. When the spring shifted, it would not open correctly causing overtemp. The Dorman unit retains the spring more securely. So far, no issues.
The following users liked this post:
14KaratJK (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Appreciate the responses. I'll probably stick with the Dorman and get another to have on hand. As for all the other components, I've replaced pretty much everything you have XJRefugee over the summer.

Quick Reply: 3.6l thermostat