Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

3.8 liter a 90 or 60 degree V6?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
would the 3.7L V6 be the same one from the Dodge Ram 1500 pickups. if so, I wasn't any more impressed with it that I am with my JK. It was louder, more rough, not any more fuel efficient, and put any more weight into the back of the truck and it felt like a 4 cyl. I have pulled the same trailer and load with that truck and now with the JK and Jk did just as well as far as power, even on the low end, now handling and suspension with the same load probably went to the truck but that's a whole different ballgame.
I agree! Read about the Dakota engines and the infamous "3.7 liter misfire" on a Dodge Dakota forum and then give an opinion.
The 3.7 liter I had in my Liberty was an absolute pig on fuel. Much worse than my JK.
I did like the interior though.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, our Liberty gets about 23 on the highway and just a little less in town. I've always run synthetic and watched my tire pressure. I can't say enough good things about the 3.7 . I think it's crazy how different everyone's vehicles are when they come from the same factory.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

My boss has an 05 Liberty and when I was looking at the JK I was talking about the gas mileage and he just laughed at me. I told him that it wasn't horrible and if I could get 15-17 MPG I would be happy. He said that around the city...cause we live in Chicago, he only gets 10-12 MPG. I was scarred, but I was willing to accept it since you don't buy a Wrangler for the gas mileage. 3 months, 5500 miles later (trip to Florida last month), I consistantly get about 17 MPG around the city.

I come from a long line of 4 cylinder cars and 8 cylinder work vans so I don't know what to expect power wise, but I am satisfied with the 3.8. My only fear is that it won't become the legacy the 4.0 liter became. I don't want to be known as the guy with the 3.8 liter they only made for 2 years or something before they upped it to 4.2 or something else to make customers happy.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nexidus
My boss has an 05 Liberty and when I was looking at the JK I was talking about the gas mileage and he just laughed at me. I told him that it wasn't horrible and if I could get 15-17 MPG I would be happy. He said that around the city...cause we live in Chicago, he only gets 10-12 MPG. I was scarred, but I was willing to accept it since you don't buy a Wrangler for the gas mileage. 3 months, 5500 miles later (trip to Florida last month), I consistantly get about 17 MPG around the city.

I come from a long line of 4 cylinder cars and 8 cylinder work vans so I don't know what to expect power wise, but I am satisfied with the 3.8. My only fear is that it won't become the legacy the 4.0 liter became. I don't want to be known as the guy with the 3.8 liter they only made for 2 years or something before they upped it to 4.2 or something else to make customers happy.
Yup thats about what i was getting 10-12MPG! I was actually astounded at the gas consumption of the Liberty considering its size. Mine was like that since new.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:16 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Yup thats about what i was getting 10-12MPG! I was actually astounded at the gas consumption of the Liberty considering its size. Mine was like that since new.

That's weird. My fiance's '06 Liberty does better than my JK fuel-wise, and she has a lead foot. I drive for economy and can nurse 20-21 mpg out of the JK and she still edges me out. The Liberty is much more responsive than my JK, especially on the highway. Some of this I attribute to the engine, but since they are totally different platforms there are other variables that must be considered (so I can't put it all on the engine alone).
Old 07-27-2008, 03:19 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by cucmd1
Wow, our Liberty gets about 23 on the highway and just a little less in town. I've always run synthetic and watched my tire pressure. I can't say enough good things about the 3.7 . I think it's crazy how different everyone's vehicles are when they come from the same factory.

It is weird, though I suspect that the driving/maintenance habits of the people and the environment they drive in are a much bigger variable than the vehicles themselves.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

We've actually owned 2 Liberty's. We had an 04 with the 3.7 and 4.10s, and it was horrendous on gas, but it pulled my wife out of some "unplanned" off roading one winter and she won't drive anything else now (other than my Wrangler). We ended up trading it in on an 06 Renegade with the 3.7/3.73 gearing and it is great on gas. They changed the transmission in 06, and it's actually the same one our JK's have.

Quick Reply: 3.8 liter a 90 or 60 degree V6?