Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

4 door soft top problem

Old 04-15-2008, 02:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 door soft top problem

I have a 4 door soft top with the 1/2 doors (2008 rubicon). Is it normal for the top of the window frames to push out to the point there is daylight visible around the top of the doors at highway speeds?

The window frames flex so much that the seal is broken at the top and of course it get's really noisy and water could get in...

Also, I have noticed the rear door window frames do not seem to fit well. Anyone else noticed this?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Leonardn,
Is pretty normal w/half doors to do this ...I've had 2 jeeps w/ soft uppers and half doors and always bought the aftermarket slider replacements because they are more rigid and do not flex as much, although this time I opted for the hard doors because the wind noise level @ highway speeds did become annoying, check out best top for the half door sliders and don't worry about water coming in ..it usually does not and if it does it is very minimal, nothing to worry about.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't noticed mine doing this. The fabric and window will get sucked out, but the frame stays firm for me. I'll even ride sometime with my hand up there just wondering how much it moves and have never felt it move much.

Check to see that your upper halfs are seated all the way into the lower. I find that I have to "thump" them down with my fist. Look closely at the outside to see how it is lining up in the door frame. Is it sitting in the opening good, or if it is not seated, it may be getting hung up on an edge and "catching the wind"......
Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

try opening the door, from the inside looking out, grap the top of the upper, put a knee on the lower door, and pull back, bendng the upper inward. I have to do this to the half doors on my TJ, and I even heard that is what they do at the factory. Try it.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Kappman Has It Hammered!

Originally Posted by KAPPMAN999
try opening the door, from the inside looking out, grap the top of the upper, put a knee on the lower door, and pull back, bendng the upper inward. I have to do this to the half doors on my TJ, and I even heard that is what they do at the factory. Try it.
Yes my old YJ did this same thing, hold the door with your knee and bow the upper door frame where you want it. A very slight ''pop'' when you open the door will give you a good wind and water seal....
Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LeonardN
I have a 4 door soft top with the 1/2 doors (2008 rubicon). Is it normal for the top of the window frames to push out to the point there is daylight visible around the top of the doors at highway speeds?

The window frames flex so much that the seal is broken at the top and of course it get's really noisy and water could get in...

Also, I have noticed the rear door window frames do not seem to fit well. Anyone else noticed this?
Mine does not do this - it's a 2007 Unlimited 1/2 door (feb of 07 build) I can run 90 with no problems.

Quick Reply: 4 door soft top problem