Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

4 wheel drive won't disengage.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive won't disengage.

So I noticed that my 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited have been getting really bad gas mileage and it felt like I was dragging something. I started checking some things and found that my Jeep is still in four-wheel-drive. The light isn't on and the lever is all the way forward. When I push hard forward it disengages the four-wheel-drive but them goes back into four-wheel-drive after I let off the lever. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with the cables or anything loose. He told me they researched the problem and said that when I take it out of four-wheel-drive I need to go backwards to release the gears. I know but I've heard this before with vehicles that have lockout hubs but this one doesn't so I don't know why I would have to do that. Has anybody else heard of this problem or is there another fix. Or is the dealer correct and I'll need to reverse the jeep to it out of four-wheel-drive.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard this and routinely put it back to 2wd without reversing and haven't had it stay in 4wd.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:55 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jkjunkies
He told me they researched the problem and said that when I take it out of four-wheel-drive I need to go backwards to release the gears.
That's absolute bullsh*t. If it's still under warranty, have them fix it.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So I noticed that my 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited have been getting really bad gas mileage and it felt like I was dragging something. I started checking some things and found that my Jeep is still in four-wheel-drive. The light isn't on and the lever is all the way forward. When I push hard forward it disengages the four-wheel-drive but them goes back into four-wheel-drive after I let off the lever. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with the cables or anything loose. He told me they researched the problem and said that when I take it out of four-wheel-drive I need to go backwards to release the gears. I know but I've heard this before with vehicles that have lockout hubs but this one doesn't so I don't know why I would have to do that. Has anybody else heard of this problem or is there another fix. Or is the dealer correct and I'll need to reverse the jeep to it out of four-wheel-drive.
I'm curious what makes you think it's stuck in 4wd? -in absence of the dash indicator, and confirmation by the dealership that the lever and linkages all look fine.

The front driveshaft will still turn, even in 2wd. The JK's don't have locking hubs, but the driveline is physically disconnected from power application in the transfer case when in 2wd--even though it spins with wheel movement.

If you're really not sure, you can crawl underneath and engage/disengage the transfer case manually.

Last edited by jk_sea; 03-11-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:13 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jk_sea
I'm curious what makes you think it's stuck in 4wd? -in absence of the dash indicator, and confirmation by the dealership that the lever and linkages all look fine.

The front driveshaft will still turn, even in 2wd. The JK's don't have locking hubs, but the driveline is physically disconnected from power application in the transfer case when in 2wd--even though it spins with wheel movement.

If you're really not sure, you can crawl underneath and engage/disengage the transfer case manually.

Good point. How is the OP determining that it is in fact still in 4wd?
Old 03-11-2015, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How exactly does he know? He just does
http://youtu.be/1E6IfdUJn6s
Old 03-11-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

The way I knew it was still in 4 wheel drive is I put the vehicle up on jacks in the front tires still spin.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

The way I knew it was still in 4 wheel drive is I put the vehicle up on jacks in the front tires still spin.
And you pushed forward on the lever, and the front stopped turning, then released the lever, and the front started turning again?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Yes. After u took it to the dealer it's not engaged anymore. So maybe there's something to it. I just didn't know if that was true from the dealership.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:15 PM
DJ1
Former Member

So basically the dealer is saying go pound sand. That you are now expected to stop the Jeep and go in reverse every time you are disengaging from 4WD.

Have fun with that!

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive won't disengage.