Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

4WD not always engaging immediately

Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4WD not always engaging immediately

Have noticed this issue recently on my 2007 2-dr JK.

Since December, when I've put it in 4HI, sometimes the "4WD" light does not illuminate right away. It seems like it's engaging, but sometimes the light does not come on. If I pull it back into 2H and then back into 4H, it will usually come on after about 5-10 seconds. I don't use 4WD very often, and only use it when conditions permit (i.e. I never drive it on dry pavement in 4HI ... I've owned Jeeps for years and now how the part-time transfer case works!)

I just pulled my service records, and the transfer case was last serviced at 31,886 miles. I currently have 66,6xx on the clock.

It does it intermittently, and doesn't seem to be a mechanical issue (I think?) I haven't ran a diag to see if it's throwing any codes yet, and I don't have a CEL. Any ideas? I'm due for an inspection this month and am going to take it to the dealer this Friday, but wanted to see if I could figure something out before I take it in. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably just a sensor!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a range sensor for the transfer case but I don't know the exact details on it. Could be a loose connection or the sensor is going bad.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ncb
There's a range sensor for the transfer case but I don't know the exact details on it. Could be a loose connection or the sensor is going bad.
Hoping this is what it is. I'd rather have a sensor go bad than a mechanical issue any day...
Old 03-09-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by amt97

Hoping this is what it is. I'd rather have a sensor go bad than a mechanical issue any day...
You'll know if its in 4wd if you idle it with the wheel turned, the wheel will jump around a bit and you'll feel the tires creeping. Don't do it for long because it's harsh on the drivetrain but you'll know for sure if its mechanical or the sensor.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
You'll know if its in 4wd if you idle it with the wheel turned, the wheel will jump around a bit and you'll feel the tires creeping. Don't do it for long because it's harsh on the drivetrain but you'll know for sure if its mechanical or the sensor.
OK, good to know. I have an appointment this Friday for my annual inspection and I told the service writer to put it on there to take a look at it.

I checked my maintenance schedule in the owner's manual ... should I have the transfer case serviced? It was last done around 30K. Schedule calls for service (drain/refill) every 30K.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 07 always has a bit of pause before light activates
Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by amt97

OK, good to know. I have an appointment this Friday for my annual inspection and I told the service writer to put it on there to take a look at it.

I checked my maintenance schedule in the owner's manual ... should I have the transfer case serviced? It was last done around 30K. Schedule calls for service (drain/refill) every 30K.
It certainly can't hurt. It's also really easy to do yourself check out the write up on project jk. I'll be doing mine in about 200 miles as I have 29,xxx miles on my '08.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 07 is the same also. Consistently 10-30 second pause when put into 4h. 4l the trac light pops on immediately, followed by the light. Normal to me.

Quick Reply: 4WD not always engaging immediately