Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4WD Shifter not working

Old 06-03-2017, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD Shifter not working

Ive done a bit of research and most people have issues with the bushings failing. So naturally that is where I started. I removed everything to access the linkage under the pedestal and found no issues. I can actuate the shifter and the linkage under the body will not move at all. Could the internal cable be broken? Is the internal portion replaceable, or do I need an entire new assembly that feeds through the bulkhead?
Old 06-03-2017, 02:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You looked at the bushing under the console. How about the one on the lever on the T-case?
If that one is good, too, the cable housing anchor may be broken. There is one on each end of the cable housing.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You looked at the bushing under the console. How about the one on the lever on the T-case?
If that one is good, too, the cable housing anchor may be broken. There is one on each end of the cable housing.
Yeah both sides look fine. The lever moves freely under the console but does not actuate the linkage at the T-Case.

I guess I need to disassemble the...assembly so to speak and see if it has become disconnected. Hopefully it isnt expensive.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:07 AM
JK Newbie

Hopefully this will bump to the top for more views.

I think I have isolated the issue. The bushings are all intact.

First thing I noticed was the clip Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip.png
Views:	113
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	672325 That attaches to the cable had come askew. It was still attached but slightly ****ed. I looked up a video on youtube and found this clip. Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer case standoff.png
Views:	121
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	672327 I do not have that stand off mounted on my transfer case. I have a 2013 JKU, Did they delete this option? Surely it didnt just fall the **** off.

Any ideas? Should I buy the new cable or does my jeep need the standoff?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Linkage fail point.png
Views:	42
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	672326  
Old 06-08-2017, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That's odd, I've not seen a reason to remove the standoff. The new cable won't come with one. You may be able to buy one off of a used transfer case if you can persuade a seller to get one to you. The clip is available through the dealer and they're pretty cheap as well as on hand.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That's odd, I've not seen a reason to remove the standoff. The new cable won't come with one. You may be able to buy one off of a used transfer case if you can persuade a seller to get one to you. The clip is available through the dealer and they're pretty cheap as well as on hand.

Yeah, Its missing completely. The weird thing is, the bottom nut is on and secured...with wrench marks all over it, and the top nut is completely missing and the stud is bare. WTF. I think someone might have needed a $20 standoff more than me. People suck.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by d3v1c3
Hopefully this will bump to the top for more views.

I think I have isolated the issue. The bushings are all intact.

First thing I noticed was the clip Attachment 672325 That attaches to the cable had come askew. It was still attached but slightly ****ed. I looked up a video on youtube and found this clip. Attachment 672327 I do not have that stand off mounted on my transfer case. I have a 2013 JKU, Did they delete this option? Surely it didnt just fall the **** off.

Any ideas? Should I buy the new cable or does my jeep need the standoff?
That's the cable housing anchor I was referring to.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That's the cable housing anchor I was referring to.

Ok cool. Since mine was not installed I did not know what to look for. Got one on order from the dealership. I am sure this will fix my issue.

Quick Reply: 4WD Shifter not working