Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5 Year Warranty Inspection Yields New Transmission (Rebuild)

Old 08-23-2017, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
On your flywheel- I just sanded mine down and went with it. It "should" have been replaced since everything else in there was new but I was too cheap to buy the Mopar flywheel.

Being 'in spec' isn't as big of an issue as much as the potential for hot spots. If you've got little spots like that then you could experience chatter. Again though- I didn't replace mine and it's fine. I should have just replaced that throwout bearing and been done but I didn't. The second TOB didn't last long before the noise came back. I think I'm on my 3rd now with the OEM being the quietest despite Spec sending "an OEM" and the National brand I replaced that one with.....which is supposed to be better than the OEM. It's a crap shoot on those bearings.
I'm going to make sure they replace everything, unless they assess and insist the flywheel is fine. The slave cylinder, however, was replaced at 94k miles, so it should be fine, unless the rebuilt tranny comes with a new one.

As for the keys, I'll pick up one or two more after I get the new one, to make sure I never have fewer than two if one is lost. My wife lost the spare key the first year we owned the Jeep, so I've just been good about not losing the remaining one. My daughter is getting ready to start driving, so I thought it was finally the time to bite the buillet and buy the spare. Ouch!
Old 08-23-2017, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yes, the slave should be ok. I replaced mine ahead of the clutch job because I thought that's where my creaky clutch was coming from. It was a contributing factor but when I replaced the clutch and TOB I didn't bother with relaxing the slave again. I did keep an extra on hand until I noticed a puddle of fluid under the jeep one day. Apparently my slave bit the dust and it didn't have any warning signs. 30 mins later and I was back in shape.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil

I also ordered a spare key from the dealership, to replace a lost one. $240 bucks. I'm walking bow-legged after that one.
Between my JK and my son's recently purchased used 2014 Patriot which only came with 1 fob, I've become an expert on this subject where I wish you would have asked prior to spending that kind of loot on a spare key. I'll probably make a separate write-up on this topic with all the information and everything you need because, I have definitely learned a lot in having to deal with them all. I have it down to a $30 or a $80 process for additional fobs depending on if you currently have 2 or less than 2 key fobs.

For now start by purchasing a blank Refurbished OEM key fob off of Ebay. Don't purchase the non OEMs, they're too hit and miss...I've been down that road. The OEM refurbished cost about $25. If you have remote start, the 4 button fobs usually run a little more but I just picked up a 4 button fob for my JK for $23 as well.

Here's the one I got, it worked like a charm.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-4-BUTTON...72.m2749.l2649

In regards to how far out of my inspection. Like I mentioned, next year it would be my 10 year inspection. So that makes me 4 years past inspection at this point.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-23-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

My Jeep was on 35s , 6" long arm w/Fox shocks, skids, steel bumpers, winch, everything and they never said one word about voiding the warranty during my 5 year inspection. I don't know why someone would just assume the warranty would not be covered just because of 35s.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Between my JK and my son's recently purchased used 2014 Patriot which only came with 1 fob, I've become an expert on this subject where I wish you would have asked prior to spending that kind of loot on a spare key. I'll probably make a separate write-up on this topic with all the information and everything you need because, I have definitely learned a lot in having to deal with them all. I have it down to a $30 or a $80 process for additional fobs depending on if you currently have 2 or less than 2 key fobs.

For now start by purchasing a blank Refurbished OEM key fob off of Ebay. Don't purchase the non OEMs, they're too hit and miss...I've been down that road. The OEM refurbished cost about $25. If you have remote start, the 4 button fobs usually run a little more but I just picked up a 4 button fob for my JK for $23 as well.

OEM 4 BUTTON JEEP DODGE REMOTE KEY COMBO DIY INSTRUCTIONS OHT692713AA | eBay

In regards to how far out of my inspection. Like I mentioned, next year it would be my 10 year inspection. So that makes me 4 years past inspection at this point.
I've not spent the money yet, so I'm all ears. Keep in mind, I went with an aftermarket company a year or so ago, that claimed they could do it with one key. It unlocked the Jeep and started it. It ran for a minute, so I paid them. I went back out started it up, then it shut off. From there on, it only ran for less than a minute before shutting off. They would not give me my money back.

That's why I decided finally to bite the bullet and go with what works. If you've got a way that works and saves money, I'd be willing to give it a try, but I'd sure be pissed if I spent the money and found it didn't work.

What year is the JK you've done this with?
Old 08-24-2017, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dahreno
My Jeep was on 35s , 6" long arm w/Fox shocks, skids, steel bumpers, winch, everything and they never said one word about voiding the warranty during my 5 year inspection. I don't know why someone would just assume the warranty would not be covered just because of 35s.
Exactly. I was ready, in case they told me my lift and 33's voided my warranty. My dealership sells Jeeps with 3 or 4" lifts and 35's as dealer installed options. They don't void the warranty on those, so I'd have called them on it if they did that to mine. Fortunately, they were great and said it was no issue.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

My rebuilt transmission arrives today or Monday. I asked them to go ahead and put a new flywheel in. Everything else with the clutch is supposed to be new, as well.

Interestingly, I thought Jasper would be the rebuilder for Jeep, but FIA does it in-house, according to my dealership, which I imagine is a good thing.

Man, it sucks being without my Jeep for the weekend.

Last edited by dmwil; 08-26-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to high-jack this thread but I have my 2 original fobs for my current 2012 Jeep and one from my totaled 2012. Can I reprogram it to work on my current 2012 Jeep with the 2 factory fobs? If so, how? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Rednroll

OEM 4 BUTTON JEEP DODGE REMOTE KEY COMBO DIY INSTRUCTIONS OHT692713AA | eBay

Old 08-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Not to high-jack this thread but I have my 2 original fobs for my current 2012 Jeep and one from my totaled 2012. Can I reprogram it to work on my current 2012 Jeep with the 2 factory fobs? If so, how? Thanks!
Likely not. For the refurbished OEM keys I suggested, from my understanding they do 3 things.
1. Wipe out any pre-existing programing.
2. Replace cut key portion with a new blank.
3. replace outer shell.

So the 1st part is the challenge. I don't know of any way using your JK, to be able to wipe out any pre-existing programming. This is something an auto locksmith can do, since they have the programmers to be able to clear any existing programming, and then reprogram it. It's a 2 step process, you can't just overwrite the pre-existing programming from my understanding. This is what an auto locksmith in my area explained to me. That same locksmith told me they would program a blank for $50, I'm not sure if they would charge additional for the clearing of pre-existing programming. However, I may find out pretty soon. I tried to self program a 3rd fob on my son's 2014 Patriot and was unsuccessful after a couple of attempts. Son had to use the car, so I had to give up. I'll try it again, to see if I can get it to work. If not, I'm kind of suspecting at this point that the refurbished fob I got may not have been wiped properly and may be the reason I'm having trouble. I also have never self programmed a fob on the Patriot, since I didn't have 2 fobs until recently, so there's a possibility I'm doing something wrong. The steps seemed to be the same as the JK, and I've self programmed 4 fobs on my JK. The part I have bolded in RED also has me concerned with my son's Patriot as well. So paying a visit to the auto lock-smith in my area will likely help me learn even more.

Here are the instructions for self programming fobs on the JK.

You must have two working programmed keys to perform this procedure. If you do not have two
working original keys you will need to have your new key programmed at a dealer or auto locksmith.

MOST 2010+ vehicles are dealer or auto locksmith program only! (this procedure may work depending
on your trim level)

1. Insert first programmed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON for 5 seconds. Do not
exceed 15 seconds.
2. Turn ignition switch to OFF and remove key.
3. Insert second programmed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON. You must do this within
15 seconds of removing first key. After 10 seconds the immobilizer warning lamp will illuminate and
an audible tone will be heard.
4. Turn ignition switch to OFF and remove key.
5. Within 60 seconds insert new un-programmed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON.
6. After 10 seconds an audible tone will be heard and the immobilizer warning lamp will illuminate for
3 seconds.
7. Turn ignition switch to OFF and remove key.
8. For each additional key to be programmed you must start at step 1 and follow procedure again.
You can have up to 8 keys programmed to vehicle.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-27-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks, Rednroll, that will come in handy when I order a blank.

Update: The transmission came in Saturday, so they began work on installing the clutch and then the tranny into the Jeep today. The tech was still working on it close to 6pm EST. They told me it should be done tomorrow. I'd love to drive out of there with a nice tight, quiet transmission with a clutch that feels like it did when the Jeep was brand new.

I'll report back this time tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 5 Year Warranty Inspection Yields New Transmission (Rebuild)