Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

6000 Mile Oil change?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Heart
Since I went to synthetic in my vehicles, I change at about a 5,000 mile interval. Is it ok to change at 3,000 - of course. I just watch the oil to see how dirty it actually is, and adjust accordingly.
Exactly. I'm not trying to TELL people what to do here. Just inform them that the 3K oil change rule IS indeed a myth. It's just not necessary. But surely, if someone wants to go the extra mile and do it at 3K, it's their money and their Jeep.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
clearly, auto manufacturers agree that 3000 miles is too often. The best bet is to just follow what's in your owner's manual.
Good advice. From the 2007 owner's manual:

• Off-road or desert driving
NOTE: If ANY of these apply to you then change your
engine oil every 3,000 miles (5 000 km) or 3 months,
whichever comes first and follow “Schedule B” of the
“Maintenance Schedules” section of this manual.

If ANY of these apply to you then change your

So, don't rag on the owners whose manual says clearly 3,000 if taking the Jeep off-road. As you point out, do what the manual says.

From the 2008 owner's manual:

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10,000 km) or 6 months, whichever
comes first.

For whatever reason, Chrysler eased up a bit on the '08s. Perhaps the reason is buried in the expert testimony quoted. However, those with a Lifetime Warranty (applies to some '07s too), it would seem to be a good idea to follow the manufacturer's recommendations, not some "I saw it on the internet" article. Which do you think a dealer would use in determining a warranty claim?

Bottom line: Recycle your used oil to minimize the impact to the environment and change the oil base on whatever makes you the most comfortable - either the manufacturer's recommendations or the weight of an internet search.

If it's on the 'net it must be true! (same with this reply, right?)
Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Good advice. From the 2007 owner's manual:

If ANY of these apply to you then change your

So, don't rag on the owners whose manual says clearly 3,000 if taking the Jeep off-road. As you point out, do what the manual says.

From the 2008 owner's manual:

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10,000 km) or 6 months, whichever
comes first.

For whatever reason, Chrysler eased up a bit on the '08s. Perhaps the reason is buried in the expert testimony quoted. However, those with a Lifetime Warranty (applies to some '07s too), it would seem to be a good idea to follow the manufacturer's recommendations, not some "I saw it on the internet" article. Which do you think a dealer would use in determining a warranty claim?

Bottom line: Recycle your used oil to minimize the impact to the environment and change the oil base on whatever makes you the most comfortable - either the manufacturer's recommendations or the weight of an internet search.

If it's on the 'net it must be true! (same with this reply, right?)
RIGHT! I NEVER debated what it said. Not ONCE.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3000 mile oil change is a MYTH touted by uneducated people. There is SO much info on it that I can post links ALL day. Here are but a few. Use your own judgement, AND read your owner's manual, because it DOES recommend 6K intervals.
From the 2007 owner's manual:

RIGHT! I NEVER debated what it said. Not ONCE.
Uh. Ok. Must be my broken English.

I guess we are in violent agreement then!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 PM
JK Jedi

Uh. Ok. Must be my broken English.

I guess we are in violent agreement then!
Absolutely. If you do a search, you'll see that pretty much ALL auto manufacturers revamped their oil change schedules around 2007. Talk to any oil rep and they'll tell you the same thing. You certainly CAN do the 3K boogie all you want, but it just ain't manditory anymore. When I was arguing, I was arguing the 2008 owner's manual, not the 2007. But even so, even the 2007 gave 3K as a "severe" service change. Violent agreement.....that's a good one. Sounds like the name of an eighties punk rock song.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3K changes is cheap insurance...especially for any of those out there that bought a used jeep without the transferable lifetime warrentteeeeeee.

That said-- I think time will tell on these rigs: I mean I've got a truck that has sooooo much blowby I change at 2500...If I make it to 3K thne its sludge and darkerer than black if that's possible

But then again.... as someone above said about motorcycles I've known plenty take thiers too 100K+ with 15K intervals. A friend of mine for over 20 years ran a propane powered Scout and did oil changes about every 10-11K....and even then his oil came out looking just as fresh as when it went in.

But again: 3K changes is cheap insurance if ya' ask me..........
Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exactly. I'm not trying to TELL people what to do here. Just inform them that the 3K oil change rule IS indeed a myth. It's just not necessary. But surely, if someone wants to go the extra mile and do it at 3K, it's their money and their Jeep.
You're absolutely correct, Redneck; don't let them pee on your Cheerios.
I'm the senior admin at a mass-spectrometer & gas chromatograph training lab; let's just say that our customers who train there represent all of the concerned parties and I get an opportunity to talk to them. They don't change their oil at 3K intervals...
If you're concerned about particulate/chemical contaminants, ph balance, or thermal degradation of your oil, send a vial to Blackstone Labs every 3000 miles and see what's going on.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
This is always a good read.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:48 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
You're absolutely correct, Redneck; don't let them pee on your Cheerios.
I'm the senior admin at a mass-spectrometer & gas chromatograph training lab; let's just say that our customers who train there represent all of the concerned parties and I get an opportunity to talk to them. They don't change their oil at 3K intervals...
If you're concerned about particulate/chemical contaminants, ph balance, or thermal degradation of your oil, send a vial to Blackstone Labs every 3000 miles and see what's going on.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
This is always a good read.
Yeah. You just CAN'T tell some folks that when oil gets dark, it ain't NECESSARILY really dirty. It takes REAL lab analysis to determine that. Most people would be very surprised. Oh, and as you can tell by some of my responses, I DON'T let people pee on my Cheerios. At least not without a fight. LOL
Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

I DON'T let people pee on my Cheerios. At least not without a fight. LOL
Old 06-26-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never said "expert" on anything. I simply am referring to what the CHRYSLER OWNER'S MANUAL says in black and white. Toyota recommends 5K intervals, Ford 7500 intervals, so 6K is in the ballpark. If you're going to mod an internet site and offer "advice" on a public forum, it needs to be correct. I can back up my "opinion" ALL DAY LONG with FACTORY RECOMMENDATIONS. But, as you say, the 3K oil change is your OPINION. Since it's in black and white in most EVERY domestic auto manufacturer's owner's manual for nearly twice the 3K and MORE, that is FACT enough for me. I won't argue with you on this again. Remember, you're the one who said you were an idiot, not me.
By the way, my JEEP OWNERS MANUAL says every 3k. Maybe they changed it for the 08's, and maybe your CHRYSLER manual says different.

WHY ARE WE TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND YELLING LIKE REDNECKS? JUST BECAUSE YOU TYPE IN CAPS DOESN'T MEAN I'M GOING TO READ THE BULLSHIT SITES YOU KEEP POSTING.

You don't need to type in caps to reinforce the fact that you think you know everything. Everyone already knows that.

Also, I never called anyone an idiot, including myself. Learn to read.

Originally Posted by melliscj
Am I reading this right? I just hit 3000 mikes on my JK and am looking in the manual to see when I would need an oil change. I see the maintenance schedule in the back of the manual and it has 6000, 12000, and 18000 mile schedules. Does this mean the JK only needs an oil change every 6000 miles? I know newer model vehicles only need them every 5000 miles or so, but 6000 miles? Seems a little long to me.
So to answer your question, your manual might actually be saying that - for normal wear 6000 miles probably is ok. I personally still do 3000, as do a lot of people.

Last edited by JackMac4; 06-26-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 6000 Mile Oil change?