Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

6spd knocking noise when in neutral goes away when i engage clutch

Old 09-04-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6spd knocking noise when in neutral goes away when i engage clutch

title says it all. started this morning. when im in neutral idling im getting a knocking sound from underneath. if i engage the clutch it goes away. 2011 2 dr rubi 1500 miles. thanks
Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Either way at 1500 miles take it to the dealer so it's documented. My first thought would be Throwout bearing on the tranny.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

thats what i thought, kinda hoping id avoid any warranty issues with this rig. i had the tranny replaced in my '08(poppin out of 1st gear). ive got a 2.5" teraflex lift on it already, any chance the stealership raises a stink?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Doubtful they will hassle you, 2.5" lift and less than 2k. Not like you even had a chance to beat on it yet.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem with my 07 JK. I just dealt with it for a few months (it wasn't slipping or anything and I didn't have the money to fix it at the time) and finally it got worse and worse and sounded like it was chewing something up in the bellhousing. Turned out a spring on the pressure plate broke and was rattling around... my slave cylinder was all jacked up from the heat of uneven pressure on the clutch disk and my flywheel was uneven and had heat spots all over it. Got flywheel resurfaced, new slave cylinder, and clutch kit. Funny thing was the throwout bearing was fine.

I'd get it checked out when you get a chance so if it is a busted spring like mine you don't have get the flywheel resurfaced. It's always best to get these things taken care of before they do any more damage!

Quick Reply: 6spd knocking noise when in neutral goes away when i engage clutch