Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

7 pins tow trailer harness installation

Old 07-02-2014, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 pins tow trailer harness installation

Hello,

I want to install a hitch receiver on my Sahara (the tow package wasn't an available option here in Belgium) so I went to the dealer to ask for a price and their answer was 1100 euros! So I decided to buy the hitch receiver and the wiring harness and do it myself. I manage to get a good hitch receiver, EU certified (the US ones doesn't fit on European Jeeps) and a Mopar 7 pin harness. The hitch installation is basic, no problem there. I tried to figure out the electric part and here I am in trouble: the Mopar instructions shows a blue wire going inside the ****pit under the dashboard (in the area of the brake pedal) but doesn't show to what it is connected there. Does anybody has an idea where to connect that blue wire? Thanks a lot!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

My first thought is it connects to the brake controller which will be mounted in the area of the brake pedal.
Until then, it gets secured under the dash with a zip tie.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-02-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

When using a brake controller, one wire has to go to the brake pedal. That is what tells the brake controller that you have applied the jeep brakes.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

You can just zip tie the blue wire out of the way for now. It goes to the brake controller and is not needed if you are not using a brake controller.

I just wired my 14' for a 7 pin and trailer brake controller.

It was pretty easy, but I have done a similar install on an 08 Pilot so I had some experience.

The directions are just pictures. What they leave out is the following:

The blue wire that they have you run into the interior connects to the blue wire on the brake controller.

You will need to run a separate power wire from the battery, to the interior and connect to the brake controller. I ran a black 10 guage wire. I used a 20A auto reset breaker for this connection, you will find them in the electrical section at the auto parts store. The copper colored pole should be connected to the wire going to the battery. I mounted the breaker right near the battery under the hood.

You will need to run a white ground from the brake controller to one of the ground posts on the left side of the jeep , right under the dash near where the door limiting strap is. You could also run it right to the battery if you want. I used 10 guage here as well.

You will need to run a red wire from the brake controller and splice it into white wire on the brake switch on the brake pedal. It was the white wire on my 14', yours may be different. Use a quick splice connecter to make the connection. This was the hardest part. You will have to peel back some of the electrical tape on the wires to the brake switch to make room for the quick splice. I believe I used either 14 or 16 guage for this, cant remember which. It was a pain in the butt to get in there because of the limited room, but its doable.

And finally, when all is done and you plug in the trailer, if nothing works then the connector is probably not going in far enough. I have found the both times I installed these I had to mess with the pins in the female connector to get everything lined up correctly.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

That blue wire is the out put wire. It comes out of your controller to your plug and it hooks up at the 5 0'clock tab (look from the front of the plug.)
Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you guys, much appreciate, you have been very helpful! Now I am clear and I can start the installation. Happy trails to you all!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

If you connect Trailer on a Europeen Modell direct to Tail lights you blown the BCM!!!! You need a specific control Module, i sent you an PM with an Offer . I am a Prof for Car Electric Systems!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	108020_640x640_v1.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	563267

Last edited by marcaurell; 07-02-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 7 pins tow trailer harness installation